Archived series ("Inactive feed" status)
When? This feed was archived on February 02, 2021 01:27 (). Last successful fetch was on May 22, 2020 03:24 ()
Why? Inactive feed status. Our servers were unable to retrieve a valid podcast feed for a sustained period.
What now? You might be able to find a more up-to-date version using the search function. This series will no longer be checked for updates. If you believe this to be in error, please check if the publisher's feed link below is valid and contact support to request the feed be restored or if you have any other concerns about this.
Manage episode 202210591 series 1407254
Get lost in the endurance sport of Fell Running by explaining how it works, what gear you need, and where you can go to get lost racing it.What the heck is Fell Running?
As endurance sports go, Fell Running is about as easy as it comes. First, you run to the top of a hill. Then, when you reach the top, you run back down. The first one to run up and down the hill wins.
Or is it?
Why do Fell Running?
Who doesn’t like hills? It seems like throughout human history, there have been people who ask “who can run up the hill the fastest”. Fell Running is no different than any other kind of running with one very important exception -- elevation. Elevation makes Fell Running what it is because anyone can run on flat, even terrain. It’s when you add a big hill into the mix, that you have the attraction to Fell Running. And not to be left out of this is the changes we Americans make to any popular endurance sport that comes out of Europe. We take it and make it our own. So what has Fell Running become in the United States? That's right -- Mountain Running! Leave to us Americans to make everything bigger. So when you come to America, remember -- We don't Fell, we Mountain!
And that is the endurance sport of Fell Running.
Time to go find some hills... or... mountains to run!
Other GLR Episodes You Might Like
- GLR S2:E2: Get Lost in Peakbagging
- GLR S1:E10: Get Lost in Ultrarunning
- GLR S1:E2: Get Lost in Trail Running
Fell Running Links
- Fell Running Guide
- Fell Running Iceland looks Terrifyingly Fun
- Rough Guide to Fell Running
- 60-second Guild to Fell Running
- Best Fell Running Shoes Reviewed
- Fell running: an introductory guide
- The Bob Graham Round: Running the Fells with Friends (full version)
- Fell Running Guide - Lake District
- The World's Toughest Running Races
- The Dragon's Back Race
- Trailrunner.com Race Calendar
- Legendary Trail Races
- Loon Mountain Race's The Boss
- US Mountain Running Championships - Loon Mountain
- Loon Mountain Race
- US Mountain Running Team
- World Mountain Running Association
Until then, I hope you Get Lost Racing!Outdoor Reckoneering Links
I want to know what you think about my podcast! Please leave me feedback by doing the following:
- Go to the Merchants of Dirt Podcast iTunes page.
- Click View in iTunes under the show artwork.
- Submit a review and give it a 5-star rating!
If you're thinking about creating a race for this discipline, please join my Facebook group: Race Promoters' Hangout.