Manage episode 261743043 series 2653665
Episode 06 | The Tuskegee Study - The World is Weird 1
Host: Derek DeWitt
The tale of a 40-year clinical study with overtones of both race and class, shows just what some people are willing to do once they have otherized their fellow humans. If they're willing to do that, the reasoning goes, what else might they be willing to do? This builds distrust, which feeds conspiracy theories.
This is the shameful story of the Tuskegee Study of Untreated Syphilis in the Negro Male. A true thing that happened, because the world is weird.
- 02:47 - What Is Syphilis? Signs, Symptoms & Stages
- 05:52 - A Short History of Detection & Treatment
- 06:44 - The Lay of the Land, Pre-Tuskegee
- 08:45 - The Tuskegee Study Begins
- 13:26 - Despite the Henderson Act, the Study Continues
- 14:47 - A Whistleblower & an Ending
- 16:17 - The Government Reacts
- 20:01 - We Did Nothing Wrong - We Just Targeted Poor People
- 21:34 - Not the Only Such Study
- 23:16 - A Pattern of Racially Motivated Abuse by the Medical Establishment
- 24:38 - African Americans Get Worse Healthcare
- 26:56 - A Bit of Both - Poverty & Race Go Hand in Hand in the US
- Music by Fanette Ronjat
Follow us on social for extra goodies:
Other Podcasts by Derek DeWitt
- DIGITAL SIGNAGE DONE RIGHT - Winner of 2020 Communicator Award of Excellence for Podcasts Series-Corporate Communications and on numerous top 10 podcast lists.
- PRAGUE TIMES - A city is more than just a location - it’s a kaleidoscope of history, places, people and trends. This podcast looks at Prague, in the center of Europe, from a number of perspectives, including what it is now, what is has been and where it’s going. It’s Prague THEN, Prague NOW, Prague LATER.