Manage episode 227134381 series 1767659
In honor of Abraham Lincoln’s 210th birthday on Feb. 12, join ABA Banking Journal Podcast co-host Evan Sparks for a bonus episode on Lincoln’s legacy on U.S. banking policy and regulation. In this episode, listeners will learn about:
- Lincoln’s early support as a Whig for a national bank
- How the examination of the Illinois state bank was the subject of Lincoln’s first recorded speech in the Illinois legislature
- The importance to Lincoln of the rule of law, whether in bank supervision or the expansion of slavery
- Why, for Lincoln, well-regulated banks were a source of civic virtue
- How, to pay for the Civil War, Lincoln created America’s unique dual chartering system and provided for a sound currency
93 episodes available. A new episode about every 5 days averaging 19 mins duration .