Manage episode 265079762 series 2445362
In the School of the Holy Spirit Part 3: Chapter Three and Conclusion
In this episode we wrap up Part 3 of our book study on Fr. Jacques Philippe’s book In the School of the Holy Spirit. We discuss how to discern between the voice of the Lord and our own voice or the enemy’s voice. We also talk about practical tools for wielding the sword of truth as well as discernment in vocation, ministry, and life.
Sister Miriam’s one thing - The new Bible study from Ascension on the book of Hebrews (Available now for preorder!)
Michelle’s one thing - Men’s podcasts for Father’s Day (see below!)
Heather’s one thing - The Archdiocese of Vancouver’s new website, Behold.
Prayer by Cardinal Mercier -
Holy Spirit, soul of my soul, I adore Thee.Enlighten me, guide me,strengthen and comfort me.Tell me what I ought to doand order me to do it.I promise to submitto anything you requirest of me,and to accept everythingthat Thou allowest to happen to me.Just show me what Thy will is.
Kapaun’s Men is dedicated to building up men as bands of brothers to help us fight the spiritual battle that rages around us. Their model is the heroic Catholic Priest and Army Chaplain, Servant of God Emil Kapaun, who spent himself tirelessly on the battlefields and in the prison camps of North Korea until his death at the hands of his captors. They offer 4 original video series inspired by the life of Father Kapaun and our fellow men and women around us, which can be found on Formed.org or can be ordered directly from us. They also recently started a weekly podcast called “The Foxhole with Father Kapaun” to help give a boost of encouragement to everyone out there fighting the good fight, whether it be in the family, in the workplace, or in the community at large.
Chris Stefanick’s Awesome 5 minute Father Kapaun video
A few other podcasts to recommend to the men in your life.
Poco a Poco Podcast - The Franciscan Friars of the Renewal
Restore the Glory Podcast -Dr. Bob Schuchts, Ph.D and Jake Khym, MA
Ask Father Josh - Father Josh Johnson
- What struck you from the podcast?
- What are the telltale signs in your own life that the voice you’re listening to is the Lord?
- What is one time that you’ve followed the inspirations of the Holy Spirit, and you’re glad you did?
- Where are you struggling to discern the voice of the Lord? How can you put into practice Fr. Jacques’ advice for greater discernment?
- Reflect and journal about this scripture: John 10:4-5. What does it speak to you personally?
- Do you feel that God is elusive or “never speaks to me”? How do you feel about what Heather said about how God is in fact trying to speak to you?
- How can you equip yourself better with “the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God”? (Ephesians 6:17)
- Where are you feeling a sense of haste? Do you need to take a “holy pause” and discern what God is saying to you?
Quote to Ponder - “A tree is known by its fruit.” An inspiration from God, if we follow it, will produce sound fruit: the fruits of peace, joy, charity, communion, and humility. - Fr. Jacques Philippe Scripture for Lectio Divina - John 10:4-5 - When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. A stranger they will not follow, but they will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers.