Manage episode 265087812 series 2445362
Spiritual Fatherhood (with Fr. Dave Pivonka)
In this episode we interview our dear friend Fr. Dave Pivonka, creator of the Wild Goose Series and President of Franciscan University of Steubenville. We discuss the importance of spiritual fathers, our need for restoration of the image and experience of fatherhood, and a deepening in our understanding of God as Father. We also discuss the characteristics of a good spiritual father.
Sister Miriam’s one thing - Black bean and roasted vegetable salad
You can add:
Fresh lime juice instead of the suggested lemon juice dressing
Cumin/Chili power or taco seasoning
Fresh diced jalapeño
All yummy things!
Michelle’s one thing - My front porch!
Father Dave’s one thing - Baseball. Bring baseball back!!
- What struck you from the podcast?
- What does the word “Father” mean to you?
- Who are some of the faces in the mosaic of fatherhood in your life?
- Share a time that your dad, a priest, or another figure in your life fathered you well!
- Reflect and journal about this scripture: Galatians 4:6-7. What does it speak to you personally?
- How has the face of God been disfigured for you by earthly fathers? How is the Lord trying to restore your image of him?
- How comfortable are you with opening up to the Fatherhood of God?
- How can you grow in becoming a son or daughter of the Father?
Quote to Ponder - “God chooses ordinary men for fatherhood to accomplish His extraordinary plan.” - G.K. Chesterton
“The language of faith thus draws on the human experience of parents, who are in a way the first representatives of God for man. But this experience also tells us that human parents are fallible and can disfigure the face of fatherhood and motherhood. We ought therefore to recall that God transcends the human distinction between the sexes. He is neither man nor woman: he is God. He also transcends human fatherhood and motherhood, although he is their origin and standard: no one is father as God is Father.” - CCC 239
Scripture for Lectio Divina - Galatians 4:6-7 And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” So through God you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son then an heir.”