S07 Episode 6: The Return of the Prodigal Son Book Study Part 1 - The Story of Two Sons and Their Father
Manage episode 254351288 series 2445362
The Story of Two Sons and Their Father
In this episode, we kick off our 6-part Lenten book study on The Return of the Prodigal Son by Henri Nouwen, beginning with the Prologue and Introduction. We chat about our identity as children of God, the mercy of the Father, and how God uses art and beauty to speak to us. We explore the idea of home and a homecoming, which speaks of our deep desire for heaven. We also talk about how often fear and self protection keeps us from experiencing the healing love of the Father.
Sister Miriam’s one thing - Dentists! The unsung heroes.
Heather’s one thing - Ruth Stricklin from New Jerusalem Studios
The Abiding Together Lenten Book Study is The Return of the Prodigal Son by Henri Nouwen. You can still join us - we're just getting started! Purchase the book via US Amazon Link, a Canada Amazon link, and a UK Amazon link. (As an Amazon Associate, Abiding Together earns from qualifying Amazon purchases.)
- What struck you from the podcast?
- What does the idea of “home” mean to you?
- Have you ever had an experience where beauty led you to the divine? Share about it!
- How are you taking steps on the journey toward the embrace of the Father?
- Reflect and journal about this scripture: Luke 15:11-32. What does it speak to you personally?
- Does the thought of vulnerability and the embrace of God make you feel at peace or uneasy?
- Do you find yourself to be an observer in your own story? Where and how can you “dare to step into the center, kneel down, and let [yourself] be held by a forgiving God?”
Quote to Ponder - “‘Coming home’ meant, for me, walking step by step toward the One who awaits me with open arms and wants to hold me in an eternal embrace.” - Henri Nouwen Scripture for Lectio Divina - Luke 15:11-32 - The Parable of the Prodigal Son