Manage episode 255011214 series 2445362
The Younger Son
In this episode we continue with Part 2 of our book study on The Return of the Prodigal Son by Henri Nouwen. We talk about the places within ourselves that, like the younger son, are living in a distant land, far from the love of God the Father. We discuss how often we search for unconditional love outside of God and are left heartbroken. We long to hear His voice speak healing to our souls that we are His beloved on whom His favor rests.
Sister Miriam’s one thing - Joan of Arc
Michelle’s one thing - Ruah Storytellers podcast
Heather’s one thing - Patreon patrons and our listeners around the world!
The Abiding Together Lenten Book Study is The Return of the Prodigal Son by Henri Nouwen. You can still join us - we're just getting started! Purchase the book via US Amazon Link, a Canada Amazon link, and a UK Amazon link. (As an Amazon Associate, Abiding Together earns from qualifying Amazon purchases.)
- What struck you from the podcast?
- What are the ways you experience longing for Heaven?
- Where have you gone looking for “distant countries”?
- What are the voices you listen to that call you from home?
- What are the vulnerable places, where your faith in being Beloved is fragile?
- Reflect and journal about this scripture: Luke 15:11-32. What does it speak to you personally this time?
- What do you think about the idea that Heaven is your home?
- Where, right now, do you need God to speak into? Where are you still striving or self-protecting?
- Recall the confidence and security of Henri Nouwen’s “litany” of what it means to be the Beloved. Create your own Litany of the Beloved! “As the Beloved, _____”
Quote to Ponder - “Home is the center of my being where I can hear the voice that says: ‘You are my Beloved, on you my favor rests.’” - Henri Nouwen Scripture for Lectio Divina - Luke 15:11-32 - The Parable of the Prodigal Son