Manage episode 255624726 series 2445362
The Elder Son
In this episode we continue with Part 3 "The Elder Son", from our book study on The Return of the Prodigal Son by Henri Nouwen. We discuss how the elder son is also lost and in need of a homecoming because in his heart, he too is far away from the father. The struggles of the elder son are within all of us when we compare, feel like we are owed something, consider ourselves worthy because of our religious actions or adherence to the rules, and when we resist the loving embrace of God the Father.
Sister Miriam’s one thing - Prenatal Development video
Michelle’s one thing - Auburn’s men’s basketball
Heather’s one thing - Our Quit Talking to the Dang Snake mug!
The Abiding Together Lenten Book Study is The Return of the Prodigal Son by Henri Nouwen. You can still join us! Purchase the book via US Amazon Link, a Canada Amazon link, and a UK Amazon link. (As an Amazon Associate, Abiding Together earns from qualifying Amazon purchases.)
- What struck you from the podcast?
- Which son do you identify with more?
- What are the signs in your own life that show that you’re living fully alive in the Lord? What about when you’re not?
- What practical things help you grow in the discipline of gratitude and trust?
- Reflect and journal about this scripture: Luke 15:11-32. What does it speak to you personally this time?
- Do you feel God is holding out on you in some area? How can you trustingly surrender that to him?
- What are the bitter places you hear in your speech? What deeper issue are they pointing to?
Quote to Ponder - “Joy and resentment cannot coexist.” - Henri Nouwen Scripture for Lectio Divina - Luke 15:11-32 - The Parable of the Prodigal Son