Episode 70: Benjamin Schrader is About to Break over starring in the Book of Mormon on Broadway, Meeting Ian McKellen & Creating Magic Bar LA.
Manage episode 204115951 series 1331447
Benjamin Schrader grew up in Seattle, Washington where he began his acting career at The Village Theatre and Seattle's 5th Avenue Theatre. At 20 he moved to New York City where he went on to star on Broadway in "Avenue Q", the 2009 revival of "Ragtime" and helped develop the Pulitzer Prize winning musical "Next to Normal". In 2007 he began work-shopping Trey Parker and Matt Stone's Broadway mega-hit "The Book of Mormon" and went on to be a member of the original TONY winning Broadway cast. Benjamin received a Grammy certificate for "The Book of Mormon" Grammy Award winning cast album. in 2013 Benjamin toured the country with the TONY Award winning production of "Peter and the Starcatcher" directed by the legendary actor/director Roger Rees.
His other works include the Walt Disney animated feature "Frozen" where he can be heard as Brother Troll, season 2 of HBO's "True Detective", and ABC's "Revenge" among others. In addition to his performing career Benjamin is also a director where his work can often be seen at the world famous Magic Castle in Los Angeles where he consults on professional magic shows.
In this Episode Ben and I discuss:
- Seeing the music man when he was a kid
- All his brothers were into sports and he was into musical theater
- We graduated High School at the same time
- Buying a one was ticket to New York
- How New York felt after 911
- Making Broadway the goal
- Broadway’s Golden Handcuffs
- Being surprised by how small the theaters are
- Celebrities coming to see him perform
- An amazing encounter with Ian Mckellen
- Art over money always feels better
- Copperfield always shows up on a motorcycle
- Ben rediscovered magic 5 years ago
- How I embarrassed myself last night
- Does free will really exist? … and why he created a magic bar
?Huge thank you to all the producers for sponsoring the show. Love the show? For as little as $1 a month you can BECOME A PRODUCER
Leave us a comment or message at abouttobreakpodcast.com
Music for this episode is provided by our friends at CatBeachMusic.com
Live Show Tickets and info at Taylorhughes.com/live
AUDIO APE Show Control abouttobreakpodcast.com/control
129 episodes available. A new episode about every 0 hours averaging 67 mins duration .