Episode 71: Morgan Jay is About to Break over Being a Musical Comedian , Performing College Shows & Hosting the Relationship Status Podcast.
Manage episode 204843233 series 1331447
Morgan Jay a first generation American performer based out of Los Angeles. Originally from New Jersey, he started his career in NYC where he attended the Tisch School of the Arts. With over six years of stand up experience and an extensive background in music Morgan has managed to create a unique performance that touches comedy and music fans alike with his smooth melodies derived from his love for classic RnB and Bossanova.
He’s performed at the 2017 SF Sketchfest, 2017/2018 Big Fire Festival, 2010 Iowa Comedy Festival, 2010 LA Comedy Festival. He won the 2012 Westside Comedy Showdown. Morgan is a regularly featured artist for sofarsounds.com and was one of the top booking acts for the 2017 NACA. Morgan also won 1st Prize for best comedy/novelty song in the International Songwriting Competition which received over 16,000 submissions.
In this episode Morgan and I discuss:
- Auditioning for Montreal
- Going from stand-up to music
- The first year with fans
- Morgan has a Podcast called Relationship Status
- Starting standup in New York
- Never feeling accepted in certain scenes
- Colleges opened up a lot
- Not performing to impress other entertainers
- Being happy not being famous
- Interning for late night made him not want that job
- Bombing in front of friends and family
- His mom was brutally honest after watching his set
- Grading your own performance
- Why music comedy gets a bad wrap
- Using your art to encourage others
- Morgan can’t gain weight and I can lose it
- Working out in Venice is intimidating
- Finding joy in the creation of material
- Traveling alone is boring … and if your doing the thing you love, you’ve already made it
Love the show? Why not become a producer? For $1 or more a month you can become a part of the team Check out our Patreon page to find out more
You can hear all episodes and get more info on our website abouttobreakpodcast.com
124 episodes available. A new episode about every 8 days averaging 71 mins duration .