Manage episode 241982123 series 1440089
Adam Strauss is on the show for this episode to dive into the painful lived experience of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and what it was, exactly, that psychedelics did for him that helped him regain agency over his life.
**full episode breakdown below**
***SPOILER ALERT: Ender's Game / Xenocide Novel Series ***
--LINKS-- For more psychedelic content like this and/or to access this interview on youtube, head to https://bit.ly/ATTMindEp106
*** Big thanks to my patrons on Pateron for helping keep this podcast alive! Especially, Thomas & Melanie H, Clea S, Steven B, James R, Dean H, Joe A, Andy D, Stephen B, Angela & James J, Ian C, David W, Don J, Yvett FC, Ann-Madeleine, & Cornelius Phlegmbottom
SEE ADAM STRAUSS' THE MUSHROOM CURE AND/ATTEND MAPPING THE MIND, BOTH IN TORONTO
The Mushroom Cure Thursday, September 19 @ 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm The Grand Gerrard, 1035 Gerrard St E, Toronto, ON M4M 1Z6 Canada + Google Map https://mappingthemind.ca/event/mushroom-cure-adam-strauss/?tickets_process=#buy-tickets
Mapping The Mind Satruday, September 21 @ 9:00 am - 6:00 pm Earth Sciences Center, 5 Bancroft Ave Toronto, Ontario M5S 3B3 Canada https://mappingthemind.ca/event/mapping-the-mind-2019/?tickets_process=#buy-tickets
-------------------- SUPPORT THIS PODCAST — Patreon: https://patreon.com/jameswjesso Donations: https://www.paypal.me/JWJesso Merchandise: https://www.jameswjesso.com/shop/ More options: https://www.jameswjesso.com/support/ --- EPISODE BREAKDOWN —
- a general overview of what inspired The Mushroom Cure
- the patient-shaming tone of the term "treatment-resistant"
- the structural biases that prevent the growth of psychiatry as a field of medicine
- the common failings of psychiatric drugs to treat mental illness
- SPOILER ALERT: Ender's Game / Xenocide Novel Series
- an intimate look of living with OCD
- how psychedelic surrender/humility helped Strauss overcome his OCD
- psychedelic lessons vs. the learning (referring to my talk from Breaking Convention)
- feelings vs stories in our heads - the profound value of feeling as a skill
- how psychedelics helped Strauss track the origins of his OCD
- the challenge of our nervous system's ancient defense system living in the modern world
- do psychiatric pharmaceuticals fundamentally change how we experience psychedelics?
- how psychedelics taught Strauss how to face profound fears of feelings
- the context that gave rise to the psychedelic experiences that made his OCD worse