Manage episode 201962463 series 2040819
“I’m bringing the track speed to the marathon.” —Molly Huddle
On April 16, professional runner Molly Huddle will be among a strong field of indomitable American women racing the Boston Marathon. This will only be Molly’s second marathon: She made her 26.2-mile debut at the 2016 TCS New York City Marathon. On this episode, Molly, who is from Rhode Island and chatted with me from Arizona, shares all things Boston: how her training has been going, what she’s excited about, what she’s nervous about, and what she learned from her first marathon that she’ll take with her into her second. Plus, she answers the question I’ve always wanted to ask: How in the world do pro runners grab their water bottles off those tables mid-race without slowing down, missing a bottle, grabbing someone else’s bottle, or dropping a bottle?
What you’ll get in this episode:
- How Molly’s feeling a month out from Boston, and how this training cycle has been different from her NYC Marathon training (1:50)
- How fast Molly runs her track workouts and how slow she runs her recovery runs (3:30)
- Molly reflects on setting a new American half-marathon world record in Houston in January (5:00)
- Molly shares the high and low points of Boston Marathon training so far (6:45)
- What Molly’s weekly mileage will peak at leading up to Boston (8:50)
- Molly’s taper strategy, and her thoughts on tapering (9:15)
- Molly’s Boston fueling strategy (11:35)
- The greatest lesson Molly says she learned from her first marathon (14:45)
- What Molly has that the rest of the American women don’t (15:45)
- What race week will look like for Molly (18:50)
- Molly shares her Boston Marathon goals (23:30)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!
83 episodes available. A new episode about every 8 days averaging 54 mins duration .