Manage episode 228577463 series 1000344
- Andrew Mason
- Eric Berry
- Dave Kimura
- Charles Max Wood
Joined by special guest: Maciej Mensfeld
In this episode of Ruby Rogues, the panelists talk with Maciej Mensfeld, Senior Software Engineer at Castle Intelligence and the creator of the Karafka framework. Maciej explains to listeners the Karafka and Kafka frameworks and their advantages, the differences between Karafka and gems like DeliveryBoy and Racecar, certain use cases where Kafka can be used efficiently such as for fast data processing (messages at the rate of 50k per second), normalizing the request stream, buffering data and event-driven architecture. They discuss the framework’s contrast with respect to a traditional queue system and comparison to different languages.
Maciej talks about some problems faced in the development stage and answers questions related to Kafka features such as strong ordering and error handling with examples. He also explains the procedure of using a consolidated gem with Docker containers, which is a part of his project set to release in April 2019. They discuss some specific errors in Ruby 2.6.0 and finally, he gives details about the Ruby users group based in Krakow, Poland and their meetups.
- Karafka framework
- Ruby Kafka
- Dry Libraries
- Apache Kafka
- Bug – Socket connect timeout exceeds timeout value
- Bug – ‘Numeric#zero?’ is much slower than ‘== 0’
- Mutant library
- Maciej’s blog
- Maciej’s GitHub
- Dave Kimura’s beautiful video setup
- Mac keyboard shortcut for nice screenshots: ⌘⌃ ⇧4 + space-bar and click on open window.
- Contributors’ names listed in the Readme file of the open source project – Andrew’s contribution
- Gatorade powder - to mix with Amoxicillin for better taste
- Elgato Cam Link 4k (reason for the excellent video setup!)
Charles Max Wood:
498 episodes available. A new episode about every 3 days averaging 47 mins duration .