Manage episode 212233942 series 2391134
“It is beyond a reasonable doubt, humans are contributing to climate change.”
In episode 36 of America Adapts, host Doug Parsons talks to Judge Alice Hill of the Hoover Institution, Stanford University. Judge Hill shares her experiences as the Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for Resilience Policy on the National Security Council within the White House under the Obama administration. In the podcast, Judge Hill also discusses her journey from practicing law in Paris, to her work prosecuting high profile white collar crime in Los Angeles, to being recruited to serve as Senior Counselor to Secretary of Homeland Security, Janet Ann Napolitano . It’s an enlightening, sobering and ultimately inspiring conversation with one of the world’s experts on climate change and its national security implications.
Donate to America Adapts (We are now a tax deductible charitable organization!)
Subscribe/listen to podcast on Apple Podcasts.Now on Spotify! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/america-adapts-climate-change/id1133023095?mt=2 Listen here. On Google Play here. Please share on Facebook! On Twitter: @usaadapts
Show highlights with Judge Alice Hill:
- FROM LA TO THE CAPITOL – Judge Hill describes her start in law and her move to California. Judge Hill was working on the LA Superior Court when she was recruited by Homeland Security Secretary, Janet Ann Napolitano (her former classmate in Law School) to join the department as Senior Counselor. Judge Hill discusses the early days of bringing adaptation policy to the Homeland Security department.
- ADAPTING TO THE WHITE HOUSE – Judge Hill discusses her move to the White House’s National Security Council and developing policies that addressed the national security implications of climate change.
- BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT - Judge Hill describes her own journey learning the science of climate change, how being a lawyer and a judge, trained her to hear the evidence, then weigh that evidence, and conclude the overwhelming consensus of scientists was accurate.
- EXECUTIVE ORDERS - Most of the climate change policies originated from the Executive Branch during the Obama years and Judge Hill describes being at the center of getting those policies developed and signed by the President.
- NATIONAL SECURITY – Doug and Judge Hill discuss how climate change played a role in the destabilization of Syria and how climate change was a threat multiplier in Syria. We discuss the current policies of President Trump and Secretary of Defense, General Mattis’, recent encouraging statements on the threat of climate change.
- WHAT’S NEXT AT HOOVER – Judge Hill talks about her current work at the Hoover Institution which will help local communities adapt to climate change.
- THE WHITE HOUSE – Judge Hill describes her experiences on the National Security Council and working for President Obama. She also shares what it’s like to work in the White House and with the public servants dedicated to protecting the United States.
- INTERNATIONAL ADAPTATION – Judge Hill shares her insight on the state of international adaptation and the proactive approaches of Canada and Australia.
In the second segment, I talk with Tim Watkins about President Trump’s disastrous recent climate change Executive orders, that dismantle the Clean Power Rule and also roll back local government adaptation efforts. It’s a sobering conversation.
Links in episode:
http://www.hoover.org/profiles/alice-hill http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/energy-environment/326221-trumps-climate-change-order-jeopardizes-our-national http://www.climatecentral.org/news/trump-orders-halt-to-efforts-to-adapt-to-warming-21307 http://www.mitigationleadership.com/pdf/Alice-Chamberlayne-Hill-bio.pdf https://www.newsecuritybeat.org/2015/07/alice-hill-mainstreaming-climate-risks-u-s-government-planning-we-care-deeply/ https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-press-office/2013/06/25/fact-sheet-president-obama-s-climate-action-plan
Coming up next week on America Adapts, we start a new, recurring segment, Australia Adapts, where I introduce adaptation research Dr. Johanna Nalau from Griffith University, in Queensland, Australia. Johanna will host a semi recurring segment where she talks with adaptation experts working in Australia! America Adapts goes global!
Subscribe now to get this in your podcast inbox!
America Adapts also has its own app for your listening pleasure! Just visit the App store on Apple or Google Play on Android and search “America Adapts.”
Finally, yes, most of your favorite podcasts are supported by listeners just like you! Please consider supporting this podcast by donating through America Adapt's fiscal sponsor, the Social Good Fund. All donations are now tax deductible!
America Adapts on Facebook! Join the America Adapts Facebook Community Group. Check us out, we’re also on YouTube! Subscribe to America Adapts on Itunes Doug can be contacted at americaadapts @ g mail . com .