The Closing of the Scientific Mind and America-Lite- How Imperial Academia Dismantled Our Culture by Yale Professor Dr. David Gelernter.
Manage episode 225366884 series 306
The Closing of the Scientific Mind and America-Lite- How Imperial Academia Dismantled Our Culture by Dr. David Gelernter.
The Danger of Crusading Atheists. Dr. David Gelernter.
"America Lite" by Yale Professor David Gelernter on Air w/ Glenn Beck - Academia Dismantled Culture.
Published on Oct 9, 2012
"America-Lite: How Imperial Academia Dismantled Our Culture (and Ushered In the Obamacrats)" Glenn Beck talks to author David Gelernter about his new book. -For the book go to: http://www.bit.ly/AmericaLite -For more books go to: http://www.GlennBecksBookList.com America-Lite (where we all live) is just like America, only turned into an amusement park or a video game or a supersized Pinkberry, where the past and future are blank and there is only a big NOW. How did we come to expect no virtue and so much cynicism from our culture, our leaders—and each other? In this refreshingly judgmental book, David Gelernter connects the historical dots to reveal a stealth revolution carried out by post-religious globalist intellectuals who, by and large, "can't run their own universities or scholarly fields, but are very sure they can run you." These imperial academics have deployed their students into the top echelon of professions once monopolized by staid and steady WASPs. In this simple way, they have installed themselves as the new designated drivers of American culture. Imperial academics live in a world of theory; they preach disdain for mere facts and for old-fashioned fact-based judgments like true or false. Schoolchildren are routinely taught theories about history instead of actual history—they learn, for example, that all nations are equally nice except for America, which is nearly always nasty. With academic experts to do our thinking for us, we've politely shut up and let second-raters take the wheel. In fact, we have handed the keys to the star pupil and teacher's pet of the post-religious globalist intellectuals, whose election to the presidency of the United States constituted the ultimate global group hug. How do we finally face the truth and get back into the driver's seat? America-Lite ends with a one-point plan.
David Gelernter: The Closing of the Scientific Mind
Dr. David Gelernter is a Yale professor of computer science, and the author of America-Lite: How Imperial Academia Dismantled Our Culture (and Ushered in the Obamacrats). He discusses his new article at Commentary, "The Closing of the Scientific Mind." Originally aired on NRA News Cam & Co. 1/8/14.
Conserving Great Ideas | David Gelernter
To be a conservative, says Yale polymath David Gelernter, is to “give due credit to the ideas that created the civilization we live within.” A simple and beautiful summary. In a new podcast episode of Great Mind with Michael Medved, Dr. Gelernter talks with our host Mr. Medved about the shocking irresponsibility in the failure to introduce young people to the best achievements in thought. They also, however, discuss evidence that our civilization is due for a healthy correction as we “snap out” of the torpor that suppresses consideration of great ideas. If Gelernter is right, there’s reason for optimism.
A “Fiercely Intellectual” Mind
Yale computer scientist David Gelernter is truly someone whose interests and knowledge similarly know no bounds. He is a novelist, painter, political commentator, religious thinker, and much more. His books include Drawing Life: Surviving the Unabomber, 1939: The Lost World of the Fair, and Judaism: A Way of Being.
Show Notes for this video
- 01:16 | The amazing and unique computer scientist, David Gelernter
- 02:18 | As a political conservative, what does it mean to you to be a conservative?
- 03:25 | A bizarre time, during which defining the sides is tricky
- 04:30 | A culture explicitly under attack in “the name of science”
- 04:55 | The “settled science” about men and women
- 05:55 | The disdain of younger women for feminism
- 06:30 | Jewish roots and the modern disdain for religion
- 08:15 | The American tradition of being biblically literate
- 08:50 | What is the most encouraging indicator of where the culture is going?
- 10:25 | Examples of young people struggling against the tide
- 10:55 | What is causing the worldwide retreat of democracy?
- 12:15 | What of Francis Fukuyama’s vision of The End of History?
- 13:00 | Ignoring Russia and Eastern Europe after the fall of the Berlin Wall
- 14:20 | The rarity of democracy beyond its Anglo-American center
- 14:48 | A surprisingly positive portrayal of Woodrow Wilson in Americanism
- 15:30 | Wilson as the impetus for the United States’ entry onto the world stage
- 17:00 | Recognizing great contributions no matter their source
- 17:45 | What do you believe the mission of America to be?
- 18:25 | What role does restoring classic texts play in being a shining city?
- 19:00 | The uncharacteristic and alarming state of education
- David Gelernter’s faculty page at Yale
- The Muse in the Machine: Computerizing the Poetry of Human Thought by David Gelernter
- Americanism: The Fourth Great American Religion by David Gelernter
Article- The Closing of the Scientific Mind by Dr. David Gelernter.
HELP ACU SPREAD THE WORD!
Please send to friends, post on Facebook, twitter, etc…
Over 3,000 commercial free archived shows are available on our podcast site here.
Ways to subscribe to the American Conservative University Podcast
Click here to subscribe via iTunes
Click here to subscribe via RSS
You can also subscribe via Stitcher
You can also subscribe via SoundCloud
If you like this episode head on over to iTunes and kindly leave us a rating, a review and subscribe! People find us through our good reviews.
FEEDBACK + PROMOTION
You can ask your questions, make comments, submit ideas for shows and lots more. Let your voice be heard.
Download our FREE iOS App.
Download our FREE Android App.
2359 episodes available. A new episode about every day averaging 52 mins duration .