#21 | Nathan "Puma" Bauman on His 18-Month Adventure, Photography Tips, & The Best Trail Magic Items
Manage episode 219342200 series 2391873
What does it take to turn a thru-hike turns into an 18-month adventure? That's the central theme of today's show, as the Cinnamon Connection is joined by Nathan "Puma" Bauman- who, after hiking the Appalachian Trail, next hiked on the Continental Divide Trail, Long Trail, and Pacific Crest Trail within a year and a half span. We talk about the differences between the three triple crown trails, what it's like to quit on a thru-hike, why the Long Trail is the most difficult trail Puma's encountered, and some tips for aspiring trail-photographers. We chat briefly about the 2018 AT Hiker Survey, AT completion and PCT completion photos. The show wraps up with the second edition of The Triple Crown Of, where we share our favorite trail magic items.
Subjects discussed in today's show include:
- Sawyer Micro Squeeze Filter
- Intro to Puma
- His SOBO CDT hike
- How he finances hiking all the time
- Frugality on trail vs off trail
- Ultralight base weight
- Current Big 3
- Appalachian Trail Big 3
- NeoAir Xlite
- Gossamer Gear The One
- Photography gear and why it’s different to bring a real camera over an iPhone
- Sony A7ii
- 85mm 1.8f
- 28mm f2
- Rhode mic
- Editing photos on Trail - lightning sd to phone port - editing RAW photos on iPhones using that converter / Adobe Lightroom mobile & editing presets (filters) to make the process easier
- Twerk Instagram
- Click Instagram
- His failed PCT hike
- 2018 Appalachian Trail Thru-Hiker Survey
- Send Completion photos to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Anonymous hiker poop stories
- Top Trail magic
- Guy proposes in The Whites video
Have any praise, questions, praise, comments, praise or praise for Backpacker Radio? Reach out to email@example.com.
A super big thank you to our Chuck Norris Award winner(s) from Patreon: Sawyer Products
A big thank you to our Cinnamon Connection Champions from Patreon: Gregory Gardner, Kate Hurley, Clint "DuctTape" Sherbet, and Peter Leven.
63 episodes available. A new episode about every 9 days averaging 95 mins duration .