Manage episode 222748853 series 2391873
Starting a thru-hike without any prior backpacking experience, although not entirely rare, is a brave endeavor. To string three consecutive thru-hikes back-to-back-to-back is a whole other level of insanity. Today’s guest accomplished just that. Without any prior backpacking experience, Mike “Kickstand” Papadatos decided that instead of starting with the AT, PCT, or CDT, that he’d string them all together in a calendar year. The Paprika Pals sat down to learn what inspired him to jump headfirst into the world of extreme long distance backpacking, the challenges he faced along the way, and the evolution of his gear throughout the journey. We then touch on some thru-hiker transformations in The Trek Propaganda segment and learn about the trio’s Triple Crown Of hangover remedies.
Subjects discussed in today’s show include:
- New Sponsor: Gossamer Gear. Use coupon code TREK15 at checkout to save 15% at GossamgerGear.com
- Sawyer Micro Squeeze Filter
- Sawyer Micro Squeeze vs Sawyer Squeeze Filter Comparison Video
- Animal Years (the awesome band behind Walking Slow)
- 2019 Trail Correspondents Application
- Kickstand poop pose
- Gear changes depending on trail
- Started on AT on Jan 31st
- The logistics: AT Jan 31 start date, bailed from snow, flew to New Mexico
- Started CDT April 14, got off in Creede (1300ish miles)
- Started PCT May 14, finished PCT in 80 days + 7 days off (August 11 end date)
- Finished 520 miles of AT, 92 days total
- SOBO’d remainder of CDT, finished October 26
- Spent $15k total
- Four Calendar Triple Crowners in 2018
- Biggest mile day (57), 11 total zeros
- Fire closures and snow and road walks
- Follow Kickstand on Instagram
- Thru-Hiker Transformations
- Triple crown of hangover remedies
Have any praise, questions, praise, comments, praise or praise for Backpacker Radio? Reach out to email@example.com.
A super big thank you to our Chuck Norris Award winner(s) from Patreon: Sawyer Products and Tama Lama Ding Dong.
A big thank you to our Cinnamon Connection Champions from Patreon: Gregory Gardner, Andre Oosthuizen, Randy Harter, and Peter Leven
63 episodes available. A new episode about every 9 days averaging 95 mins duration .