Manage episode 231376031 series 1968007
In today's episode of Backpacker Radio, Smiles and I sit down with author Ken Ilgunas. To put it simply, Ken is a guy who marches to the beat of his own drum. We talk at length about his time hiking the length of the Keystone XL Pipeline both where it was developed and supposed to be developed, where had to not only trespass for much of this hike, but knock on complete strangers doors for help on many occasions. He shares his take on public vs. private land, why we should have hiking access on private land, the threats to public land, and how this is handled in other countries. Ken also shares about his time living out of his van, before #vanlife was even a thing. We close out the show with a new thru-hiker of the week, some Trek propaganda, and a new segment, two lies and a truth. This is another juicy show. So strap in.
Subjects discussed in the episode include:
- Recorded at Wayfinder in Denver
- Gossamer Gear Anniversary Video
- Use code "TREK15" at GossamerGear.com to save 15%
- Sawyer's International Website
- Sawyer Squeeze vs. Sawyer Micro Squeeze
- Use code "thetrek" at us.foursigmatic.com (our link) to save 15%
- Interview with Ken Ilgunas
- His second hike ever was in the Brooks Range in Alaska
- Hiking the Keystone XL
- Trespassing Across America (Ken's book about this hike)
- The Montana Posse
- Why he didn't take on a more traditional long trail such as the Appalachian Trail or Continental Divide Trail
- The Right to Roam
- This Land Is Our Land: How We Lost the Right to Roam and How to Take It Back (Ken's most recent book)
- His Gear
- Walden on Wheels (Ken's book about his time living out of his van in college)
- Thru-Hikers of the Week
- Planning a Thru-Hike as a Member of the PCT’s 1.6% by Sam Cooper
- Apply to be a Blogger / Vlogger for The Trek
- Two Lies and a Truth
- Danny Devito
- Song: Walking Slow by Animal Years
- Check out Trail Correspondents!
Have any praise, questions, praise, comments, praise or praise for Backpacker Radio? Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.Support us on Patreon to get bonus content.
A super big thank you to our Chuck Norris Award winner(s) from Patreon: Michael W Hinkley, S11N, Sawyer Products, and Travis Smith
A big thank you to our Cinnamon Connection Champions from Patreon: Gregory Gardner and Peter Leven
Intro music via.
63 episodes available. A new episode about every 9 days averaging 95 mins duration .