Manage episode 293792969 series 2505444
Learn some great tips for raising ducks in your backyard on this week’s Backyard Bounty podcast. We join Nicole as she chats with Liz from The Cape Coop.
What You’ll Learn
- Common beginner mistakes and how to avoid them
- What to feed duckings
- Integrating new birds into the flock
- What to consider when choosing a mixed or same-sex flock
- What to feed ducklings
- Tips for keep ducks in winter
- Advantages of selling duck eggs
Liz is a backyard farmer in Massachusetts and began her backyard farm adventure in 2012 with 4 chickens. At the time she thought that would be the extent of the “farm”, fast forward 9 years and she now has 21 chickens, 11 ducks, 3 rabbits, 3 alpacas a large garden and has moved to a different house with more land and a huge barn!
Liz encourages everyone to give backyard farming a try, from apartment dwellers growing tomatoes on a balcony to people with a little more room that want to get into keeping livestock. Starting without any special training, just a love of animals and a desire to provide some of her food, she believes if she can grow a backyard farm, anyone can! She is also a strong advocate of finding community and support which is vital to success when you start out. Liz loves to add to that community with her farm blog, where you can find tips for raising ducks, and much more!
Liz also runs a soap business at the farm where she makes artisan soaps & spa products. Check out the links in the resources section below for more info.
Resources & Links Mentioned
- The Cape Coop Website, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Liz’s DIY Blog
- Chicken nipple waterers
- First Saturday Lime
Support The Show
Your support helps us continue to provide the best possible episodes!
- Find video episodes on YouTube
- Subscribe to the podcast email newsletter
- Submit a question or suggestion for the show by calling our listener line at (719) 647-7754
- Shop Backyard Bounty merchandise
- Join our text community (719) 292- 3207
- Get behind the scenes with Patreon
- Find us online @HeritageAcresMarket: Website / Facebook Page / Facebook Group / Instagram / TikTok / Twitter / Gab / Pinterest
Support the show (https://www.patreon.com/heritageacres)