Manage episode 218180761 series 1749526
Baked and Awake
Intro to Nag Hammadi Library
- Disclaimer: Slightly raunchy Promos aside, the Baked and Awake show isn’t super explicit, but we do smoke weed on the show.
- Find our show on damagedgoodsinc.com. Support the show on Patreon if you want. Email me and visit my website, bakedandawake.com
- Thanks to my Patreon Supporters including Bones and Tubs, and TopTree, for their continued support of the Podcast.
- International Business Exchange w Josh Kinkade- Sept 24th in DT Seattle
- Pet Overload and Blue Pearl Animal Hospital- Thank you for caring for our little Birdie. Rest in Peace Ceelo- we hardly knew you but you were loved
- Intro to the Nag Hammadi Library
From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nag_Hammadi_library
Notes on Sources, Translation, and Interpretation of the referenced Gospel of Thomas:
Why do I care? Do I agree? Do I believe? Does that matter? Read it yourself. Listen to it, or read more than once. These gospels remind me personally in a number of ways, of the Tao Te Ching. Some key passages, statements red awkwardly, or troublesome. The text is incomplete, multiple translations do exist, personal insight may be greater. Is Jesus a historical figure, or a character created out of whole cloth, raised to the status of a myth, and finally the Godhead, all in the service of a re branded version of a belief system older than civilization itself? Today we will read about the discovery of these incredible, 3rd to 4th Century texts, written on papyrus and stored, hidden in a cave in an earthen jar for all these thousands of years until their discovery, finally, in the early 20th Century- but even then not without drama, damage, and loss. From there, I will introduce you to the first 33 sayings in The Gospel of Thomas, said to be direct sayings of Jesus of Nazareth himself. If you enjoy this episode, and I’ll know by the download numbers, I may read the remaining 70 odd sayings, completing the text, on the next episode of the podcast.The Gospel of Thomas
(Visit the Gospel of Thomas Collection for additional information and other translations)
These are the secret sayings which the living Jesus spoke and which Didymos Judas Thomas wrote down.
(1) And he said, "Whoever finds the interpretation of these sayings will not experience death."
(2) Jesus said, "Let him who seeks continue seeking until he finds. When he finds, he will become troubled. When he becomes troubled, he will be astonished, and he will rule over the All."
(3) Jesus said, "If those who lead you say to you, 'See, the kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."
(4) Jesus said, "The man old in days will not hesitate to ask a small child seven days old about the place of life, and he will live. For many who are first will become last, and they will become one and the same."
(5) Jesus said, "Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you . For there is nothing hidden which will not become manifest."
(6) His disciples questioned him and said to him, "Do you want us to fast? How shall we pray? Shall we give alms? What diet shall we observe?"
Jesus said, "Do not tell lies, and do not do what you hate, for all things are plain in the sight of heaven. For nothing hidden will not become manifest, and nothing covered will remain without being uncovered."
(7) Jesus said, "Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man."
(8) And he said, "The man is like a wise fisherman who cast his net into the sea and drew it up from the sea full of small fish. Among them the wise fisherman found a fine large fish. He threw all the small fish back into the sea and chose the large fish without difficulty. Whoever has ears to hear, let him hear."
(9) Jesus said, "Now the sower went out, took a handful (of seeds), and scattered them. Some fell on the road; the birds came and gathered them up. Others fell on the rock, did not take root in the soil, and did not produce ears. And others fell on thorns; they choked the seed(s) and worms ate them. And others fell on the good soil and it produced good fruit: it bore sixty per measure and a hundred and twenty per measure."
(10) Jesus said, "I have cast fire upon the world, and see, I am guarding it until it blazes."
(11) Jesus said, "This heaven will pass away, and the one above it will pass away. The dead are not alive, and the living will not die. In the days when you consumed what is dead, you made it what is alive. When you come to dwell in the light, what will you do? On the day when you were one you became two. But when you become two, what will you do?"
(12) The disciples said to Jesus, "We know that you will depart from us. Who is to be our leader?"
Jesus said to them, "Wherever you are, you are to go to James the righteous, for whose sake heaven and earth came into being."
(13) Jesus said to his disciples, "Compare me to someone and tell me whom I am like."
Simon Peter said to him, "You are like a righteous angel."
Matthew said to him, "You are like a wise philosopher."
Thomas said to him, "Master, my mouth is wholly incapable of saying whom you are like."
Jesus said, "I am not your master. Because you have drunk, you have become intoxicated from the bubbling spring which I have measured out."
And he took him and withdrew and told him three things. When Thomas returned to his companions, they asked him, "What did Jesus say to you?"
Thomas said to them, "If I tell you one of the things which he told me, you will pick up stones and throw them at me; a fire will come out of the stones and burn you up."
(14) Jesus said to them, "If you fast, you will give rise to sin for yourselves; and if you pray, you will be condemned; and if you give alms, you will do harm to your spirits. When you go into any land and walk about in the districts, if they receive you, eat what they will set before you, and heal the sick among them. For what goes into your mouth will not defile you, but that which issues from your mouth - it is that which will defile you."
(15) Jesus said, "When you see one who was not born of woman, prostrate yourselves on your faces and worship him. That one is your father."
(16) Jesus said, "Men think, perhaps, that it is peace which I have come to cast upon the world. They do not know that it is dissension which I have come to cast upon the earth: fire, sword, and war. For there will be five in a house: three will be against two, and two against three, the father against the son, and the son against the father. And they will stand solitary."
(17) Jesus said, "I shall give you what no eye has seen and what no ear has heard and what no hand has touched and what has never occurred to the human mind."
(18) The disciples said to Jesus, "Tell us how our end will be."
Jesus said, "Have you discovered, then, the beginning, that you look for the end? For where the beginning is, there will the end be. Blessed is he who will take his place in the beginning; he will know the end and will not experience death."
(19) Jesus said, "Blessed is he who came into being before he came into being. If you become my disciples and listen to my words, these stones will minister to you. For there are five trees for you in Paradise which remain undisturbed summer and winter and whose leaves do not fall. Whoever becomes acquainted with them will not experience death."
(20) The disciples said to Jesus, "Tell us what the kingdom of heaven is like."
He said to them, "It is like a mustard seed. It is the smallest of all seeds. But when it falls on tilled soil, it produces a great plant and becomes a shelter for birds of the sky."
(21) Mary said to Jesus, "Whom are your disciples like?"
He said, "They are like children who have settled in a field which is not theirs. When the owners of the field come, they will say, 'Let us have back our field.' They (will) undress in their presence in order to let them have back their field and to give it back to them. Therefore I say, if the owner of a house knows that the thief is coming, he will begin his vigil before he comes and will not let him dig through into his house of his domain to carry away his goods. You, then, be on your guard against the world. Arm yourselves with great strength lest the robbers find a way to come to you, for the difficulty which you expect will (surely) materialize. Let there be among you a man of understanding. When the grain ripened, he came quickly with his sickle in his hand and reaped it. Whoever has ears to hear, let him hear."
(22) Jesus saw infants being suckled. He said to his disciples, "These infants being suckled are like those who enter the kingdom."
They said to him, "Shall we then, as children, enter the kingdom?"
Jesus said to them, "When you make the two one, and when you make the inside like the outside and the outside like the inside, and the above like the below, and when you make the male and the female one and the same, so that the male not be male nor the female female; and when you fashion eyes in the place of an eye, and a hand in place of a hand, and a foot in place of a foot, and a likeness in place of a likeness; then will you enter the kingdom."
(23) Jesus said, "I shall choose you, one out of a thousand, and two out of ten thousand, and they shall stand as a single one."
(24) His disciples said to him, "Show us the place where you are, since it is necessary for us to seek it."
He said to them, "Whoever has ears, let him hear. There is light within a man of light, and he lights up the whole world. If he does not shine, he is darkness."
(25) Jesus said, "Love your brother like your soul, guard him like the pupil of your eye."
(26) Jesus said, "You see the mote in your brother's eye, but you do not see the beam in your own eye. When you cast the beam out of your own eye, then you will see clearly to cast the mote from your brother's eye."
(27) "If you do not fast as regards the world, you will not find the kingdom. If you do not observe the Sabbath as a Sabbath, you will not see the father."
(28) Jesus said, "I took my place in the midst of the world, and I appeared to them in flesh. I found all of them intoxicated; I found none of them thirsty. And my soul became afflicted for the sons of men, because they are blind in their hearts and do not have sight; for empty they came into the world, and empty too they seek to leave the world. But for the moment they are intoxicated. When they shake off their wine, then they will repent."
(29) Jesus said, "If the flesh came into being because of spirit, it is a wonder. But if spirit came into being because of the body, it is a wonder of wonders. Indeed, I am amazed at how this great wealth has made its home in this poverty."
(30) Jesus said, "Where there are three gods, they are gods. Where there are two or one, I am with him."
(31) Jesus said, "No prophet is accepted in his own village; no physician heals those who know him."
(32) Jesus said, "A city being built on a high mountain and fortified cannot fall, nor can it be hidden."
(33) Jesus said, "Preach from your housetops that which you will hear in your ear. For no one lights a lamp and puts it under a bushel, nor does he put it in a hidden place, but rather he sets it on a lampstand so that everyone who enters and leaves will see its light."
- Respect my Region neighborhood cleanup- Central District
- Facebook Hacked again
- FB Abusing two part authentication
- DEA reschedules CBD? Not exactly..
Finally, if you’re listening to this podcast, and you’ve made it this far, this is a message for anyone in my audience who works for an I-502 retailer anywhere in WA State. The Garden I serve as Director of Sales for, Tier III Producer Processor Weed Plus Tacoma, is actively looking for accounts. This is a straight up appeal to those of you who are Budtenders, Retail Managers, Business Owners, or friends of any of those people- to PLEASE get in touch with me, as we are having a very challenging time acquiring new stores. I welcome your tips, leads on shops to contact, or to deliver samples to. I know our flower is good, and our prices are competitive, but we need your help to get this new brand of Weed Plus off the ground. Please reach out to me personally at email@example.com, and thank you for listening to this message.
Our Website: www.bakedandawake.com
Libsyn Podcast Page: http://bakedandawake.libsyn.com/
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/bakedandawakepodcast
Twitter: https://twitter.com/stevecominski (@baked_and_awake)
Episode ambient Music generously provided by Antti Luode, as posted to reddit:
#bakedandawakeshow #smokeindicadoshitanyway #podcastbuildersleague #damagedgoodsnetwork #daddyissuez #Shade #LilyBongwater #sexy #listen #subscribe #laugh #nofilter #noboundaries #nosafewords #trypod #PodernFamily #DGN #comedy #entertainment #explicit #damagedgoodstheshow #BetaTesting #mattungermah #claytimeinthebasement #thc #GoldenGod #sithlord #fireballjesus #startedfromthebottom #newDaddyissuez.libsyn.comDamagedgoods.libsyn.comClaytimeinthebasement.libsyn.com
76 episodes available. A new episode about every 9 days averaging 68 mins duration .