Manage episode 210308749 series 60397
The Jersey Devil is a monster legend that originated in New Jersey’s early American past.
How and why did this legend emerge? And, what can it tell us about New Jersey’s past?
Brian Regal, an Associate Professor of History at Kean University and the co-author of The Secret History of the Jersey Devil: How Quakers, Hucksters, and Benjamin Franklin Created A Monster, takes us into New Jersey’s past by taking us through the origins of the New Jersey Devil story.
Show Notes: https://www.benfranklinsworld.com/192
- Boston History Camp, July 7
- Boston Meet Up: July 8, 10am Meet at the corner of Park Street and Tremont Street on Boston Common
- Cleveland Meet up at Shooters on the Water July 21, 4pm
- Episode 053: Emerson W. Baker: A Storm of Witchcraft
- Episode 135: Julie Holcomb, Moral Commerce: The Transatlantic Boycott of the Slave Labor Economy
- Episode 138: Patrick Spero, Frontier Politics in Early America
- Episode 156: The Power of the Press in the American Revolution
- Episode 169: Thomas Kidd, The Religious Life of Benjamin Franklin
- Episode 185: Joyce Goodfriend, Early New York City and its Culture
Helpful Show Links
- Ben Franklin's World Facebook Page
- Join the Ben Franklin's World Community
- Sign-up for the Franklin Gazette Newsletter
- Ben Franklin's World iOS App
- Ben Franklin's World Android App
*Books purchased through this link will help support the production of Ben Franklin's World.
262 episodes available. A new episode about every 6 days averaging 58 mins duration .