Manage episode 219043348 series 60397
2018 marks the 241st anniversary of the American victory at the Battle of Saratoga and the 240th anniversary of the Franco-American Alliance. But was the victory that prompted the French to join the American war effort, truly the "turning point" of the War for Independence?
National Book Award-winner Nathaniel Philbrick joins us to explore the two events he sees as better turning points in the American War for Independence: Benedict Arnold’s treason and the French Navy’s participation in the war.
Show Notes: https://www.benfranklinsworld.com/208
- Episode 026: Robert Middlekauff, George Washington’s Revolution
- Episode 037: Kathleen DuVal, Independence Lost
- Episode 071: Bruce Venter, Saratoga and Hubbardton, 1777
- Episode 081: Don Glickstein, After Yorktown: The Final Struggle for American Independence
- Episode 122: Andrew O’Shaughnessy, The Men Who Lost America
- Episode 161: Smuggling and the American Revolution
Helpful Show Links
245 episodes available. A new episode about every 6 days averaging 59 mins duration .