Manage episode 223973117 series 60397
Have you ever wondered where the Christmas traditions of stockings, presents, and cookies come from?
What about jolly, old Saint Nicholas? Who was he and why do we often call him Santa Claus?
Peter G. Rose, culinary historian of Dutch foodways in North America and author of Delicious December: How the Dutch Brought Us Santa, Presents, and Treats joins us to discuss the origins of Santa Claus and edible goodies such as cookies in the United States.
This episode originally posted as Episode 009.
Show Notes: https://www.benfranklinsworld.com/218
- Episode 035: Michael Lord, Historic Hudson Valley & Washington Irving
- Episode 121: Wim Klooster, The Dutch Moment in the 17th-Century Atlantic World
- Episode 161: Smuggling and the American Revolution
- Episode 185: Joyce Goodfriend, Who Should Rule at Home?
Helpful Show Links
- Ben Franklin's World Facebook Page
- Ben Franklin’s World Twitter: @BFWorldPodcast
- Join the Ben Franklin's World Community
- Sign-up for the Franklin Gazette Newsletter
- Ben Franklin's World iOS App
- Ben Franklin's World Android App
*Books purchased through this link will help support the production of Ben Franklin's World.
248 episodes available. A new episode about every 6 days averaging 59 mins duration .