Manage episode 224294311 series 60397
Inns and taverns played prominent roles in early American life. They served the needs of travelers who needed food to eat and places to sleep.They offered local communities a form of poor relief. And they functioned as public spaces where men could gather to discuss news, organize movements, and to drink and play cards.
Show Notes: https://www.benfranklinsworld.com/219
- Omohundro Institute
- OI Books (Use promo code 01DAH40 to save 40 percent)
- Denver Meet Up Saturday, January 19, 3:30pm at Prost Brewing
- Bonus: Longfellow’s Wayside Inn
- Episode 112: The Tea Crisis of 1773
- Episode 160: The Politics of Tea
- Episode 161: Smuggling and the American Revolution
- Episode 187: Kenneth Cohen, Sport in Early America
- Episode 200: Everyday Life in Early America
Helpful Show Links
- Ben Franklin's World Facebook Page
- Ben Franklin’s World Twitter: @BFWorldPodcast
- Join the Ben Franklin's World Community
- Sign-up for the Franklin Gazette Newsletter
- Ben Franklin's World iOS App
- Ben Franklin's World Android App
*Books purchased through this link will help support the production of Ben Franklin's World.
244 episodes available. A new episode about every 6 days averaging 59 mins duration .