Manage episode 227601327 series 60397
What do we mean by “the state?”
How is a “state” produced?
Is “the state” something everyone can participate in producing?
Ryan Quintana, an Associate Professor of History at Wellesley College and the author of Making a Slave State: Political Development in Early South Carolina, joins us to answer these questions with a look at the creation and development of the State of South Carolina.
Show Notes: https://www.benfranklinsworld.com/226
- Episode 083: Jared Hardesty, Unfreedom: Slavery in Colonial Boston
- Episode 126: Rebecca Brannon, The Reintegration of American Loyalists
- Episode 157: Judith Van Buskirk, The Revolution’s African American Soldiers
- Episode 186: Max Edelson, The New Map of the British Empire
- Episode 190: Jennie Goloboy, Origins of the American Middle Class
Helpful Show Links
- Ben Franklin's World Facebook Page
- Ben Franklin’s World Twitter: @BFWorldPodcast
- Join the Ben Franklin's World Community
- Sign-up for the Franklin Gazette Newsletter
- Ben Franklin's World iOS App
- Ben Franklin's World Android App
*Books purchased through this link will help support the production of Ben Franklin's World.
249 episodes available. A new episode about every 6 days averaging 59 mins duration .