Manage episode 230944293 series 60397
When we think about colonial American history we think about the colonies of the English, the Dutch, the French, and the Spanish. Rarely do we think about the colonies of the Russians. And yet Russia had colonies in North America.
Gwenn Miller, an Associate Professor of History at the College of the Holy Cross, joins us to investigate a history of Russia’s colonies in North America with details from her book Kodiak Kreol: Communities of Empire in Early Russian America.
Show Notes: https://www.benfranklinsworld.com/233
Meet Ups & Talks
- Albany, New York: April 25 at the New York State Cultural Education Center. Meet up at pre-talk reception.
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin: April 29, 6pm at Zaffiro’s Pizza
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin: April 30, 6pm free public talk at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Golda Meir Library
- Episode 021: Eugene Tesdhal, Smuggling in Colonial America & Living History
- Episode 163: The American Revolution in North America
- Episode 184: David Silverman, Thundersticks: Firearms and the Violent Transformation of Native America
- Episode 223: Susan Sleeper-Smith, A Native American History of the Ohio River Valley
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Ben Franklin's World iOS App
- Ben Franklin's World Android App
- Join the Ben Franklin's World Community
- Ben Franklin’s World Twitter: @BFWorldPodcast
- Ben Franklin's World Facebook Page
- Sign-up for the Franklin Gazette Newsletter
*Books purchased through the links on this post will help support the production of Ben Franklin's World.
248 episodes available. A new episode about every 6 days averaging 59 mins duration .