Hmmm there seems to be a problem fetching this series right now. Last successful fetch was on May 23, 2019 07:04 ()
What now? This series will be checked again in the next day. If you believe it should be working, please verify the publisher's feed link below is valid and includes actual episode links. You can contact support to request the feed be immediately fetched.
Manage episode 231404443 series 60397
If we want to understand everyday life in early America we need to understand the everyday life of early American farms and farmers.
Roughly three-quarters of Americans in British North America and the early United States considered themselves to be farmers. So how did early Americans establish farms and what were the rhythms of their daily lives?
Richard Bushman, the Gouverneur Morris Professor Emeritus of History at Columbia University, joins us to investigate farms and farm life in early America with details from his book, The American Farmer in the Eighteenth Century: A Social and Cultural History.
Show Notes: https://www.benfranklinsworld.com/234
Meet Ups & Talks
- Albany, New York: April 25 at the New York State Cultural Education Center. Meet up at pre-talk reception.
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin: April 29, 6pm at Zaffiro’s Pizza
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin: April 30, 6pm free public talk at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Golda Meir Library
- Episode 087: Sean Condon, Shays’ Rebellion
- Episode 115: Andrew Torget, The Early American History of Texas
- Episode 129: J.L. Bell, The Road to Concord
- Episode 130: Paul Revere’s Ride Through History
- Episode 135: Julie Holcomb, Moral Commerce: The Transatlantic Boycott of the Slave Labor Economy
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Ben Franklin's World iOS App
- Ben Franklin's World Android App
- Join the Ben Franklin's World Community
- Ben Franklin’s World Twitter: @BFWorldPodcast
- Ben Franklin's World Facebook Page
- Sign-up for the Franklin Gazette Newsletter
*Books purchased through the links on this post will help support the production of Ben Franklin's World.
249 episodes available. A new episode about every 6 days averaging 59 mins duration .