Manage episode 253790616 series 60397
How and where did the colonies of North America and the Caribbean fit within the British Empire?
The answer to this question depends on whether you explore the views of a British imperial officer, such as the King of England, or a colonist who lived in one of the North American or Caribbean colonies.
In today’s episode, Abigail Swingen, professor of history at Texas Tech University and author of Competing Visions of Empire: Labor, Slavery, and the Origins of the British Atlantic Empire, leads us on an exploration of how colonists and British imperial officers viewed the colonies and their place within the British Empire during the late 17th and early 18th centuries.
Show Notes: https://www.benfranklinsworld.com/036
- Episode 162: Dunmore’s New World: The British Empire and the American Revolution
- Episode 186: Max Edelson, The New Map of the British Empire
- Episode 229: Patrick Griffin, The Townshend Moment
- Episode 236: Daniel Livesay, Mixed-Race Britons & the Atlantic Family
- Episode 252: Matthew Dziennik, The Highland Soldier in North America
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Ben Franklin's World iOS App
- Ben Franklin's World Android App