Manage episode 231714040 series 8456
Air Date: 4/19/2019
Today we take a look at the racism, sexism and classism that is permeating the algorithmic systems that are directing more and more of our online and offline lives
Be part of the show! Leave a message at 202-999-3991
Get AD FREE Shows & Bonus Content: Support our show on Patreon!
Algorithms filter us, perpetuate biases and can be used for good. The problem is humans program these algorithms and don't take our own biases into account.
Dr. Safiya Noble joins to discuss Google and the problem with an advertising company in charge of how most of us get information.
Credit Reports are highly imperfect but still manage to be far superior to the absolutely lawless algorithms that affect our lives in an untold number of ways.
Algorithms may not only be designed with bias from the beginning but when faulty assumptions lead to self-fulfilling predictions it can create an out-of-control feedback loop of oppression.
Take action! Click the title and/or scroll down for quick links and resources from this segment.
Computer programs aren't seeing or supporting black and brown lives. Big tech is the new colonialism, devastating countries and people.
Ch. 7: Continuing our conversation about health care - Heather from Texas
Ch. 8: Final comments on reforming health care responsibly
Tell Congress to Create a Just & Fair Federal Privacy Law using:
- Fair Information Practices (FIPs) | (Retweet it)
- Civil Rights Principles for the Era of Big Data | (Retweet it)
- EPIC's "Algorithmic Transparency" campaign
- The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights' "Media & Tech"page
- Read the coalition letter to Congress
EDUCATE YOURSELF & SHARE
Discriminating algorithms: 5 times AI showed prejudice(NewScientist)
Even Kids Can Understand That Algorithms Can Be Biased(Scientific American, Roots of Unity Blog)
A.I. Could Worsen Health Disparities(NY Times)
What Women Know About the Internet (NY Times)
Researched & Written by BOTL Communications Director Amanda Hoffman
MUSIC(Blue Dot Sessions):
- Opening Theme: Loving Acoustic Instrumental by John Douglas Orr
- Tranceless - Caruthersville
- Micolai - Wax Museum
- Partly Sage - Bodytonic
- O Holy Still - Vacant Distillery
- This fickle world - Theo Bard
- Voicemail Music: Low Key Lost Feeling Electro by Alex Stinnent
- Closing Music: Upbeat Laid Back Indie Rock by Alex Stinnent
Produced by Jay! Tomlinson
Thanks for listening!
Visit us at BestOfTheLeft.com
Support the show via Patreon
Follow at Twitter.com/BestOfTheLeft
Like at Facebook.com/BestOfTheLeft
Contact me directly at Jay@BestOfTheLeft.com
1194 episodes available. A new episode about every 3 days averaging 76 mins duration .