Manage episode 210366437 series 2359394
In This Episode:
Dr. K explains the basics of hospice care, with a special focus on hospice for people with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias. She covers:
- The difference — and relationship — between hospice and palliative care
- What kind of services and benefits you can get through hospice
- How hospice eligibility is determined by Medicare
- The difference between severe Alzheimer’s disease and “terminal” Alzheimer’s
- How to know when someone with Alzheimer’s might be eligible for hospice
- Why some people with dementia “recover” and may be discharged from hospice
- Common misconceptions people have about palliative care and hospice
- Why hospice is a good choice for most patients and families facing the end of life
- Hospice in Dementia, Medications, & What to Do If You re Concerned
- Medicare.gov: How Hospice Works
- Medicare: Local Coverage Determination (LCD): Hospice – Determining Terminal Status
- How to Understand the Stages of Alzheimer s & Related Dementias
- What are Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) & Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADLs)?
- Advanced Dementia: A Guide for Families
The post 043 How Hospice Helps at the End of Life, & Hospice for Alzheimer’s appeared first on Better Health While Aging.
91 episodes available. A new episode about every 14 days averaging 34 mins duration .