Manage episode 210366436 series 2359394
In This Episode:
Dr. K addresses a reader’s concerns about the morphine and lorazepam (brand name Ativan) that were given to her relatives with dementia, while on hospice. She covers:
- Common end of life symptoms, and which symptoms are common in people with advanced Alzheimer’s
- How morphine is usually used at the end of life, to manage problems such as pain and shortness of breath
- Why it’s usually possible to use morphine to control symptoms without “hastening” death
- Why it’s unclear that lorazepam should be used as often as it is, in hospice care
- How to choose a good hospice provider
- How to be proactive, to avoid problems and misunderstandings with the hospice team
- What you can do, if you’re concerned about the care a loved one is receiving while on hospice
The post 044 Hospice Medications & What to do if You’re Concerned appeared first on Better Health While Aging.
91 episodes available. A new episode about every 14 days averaging 33 mins duration .