Manage episode 210366428 series 2359394
In This Episode:
Dr. K talks with Tiffany Shubert, PT PhD, a practicing physical therapist and a leading expert on exercise for fall prevention. They discuss the best ways to maintain mobility and prevent falls in aging, including:
- Why walking is often not enough, when it comes to fall prevention
- Why strong legs and good balance are crucial, and which exercises help develop this
- How much exercise older adults should aim to do every week
- How to figure out if an older person is tired due to doing too much versus not enough
- The truths about chair exercises
- The truth about water exercises
- Whether canes prevent falls, and how they can be helpful
- What to know about canes and walkers in dementia
- How to find a high-quality exercise program that will build strength in aging
- When trekking poles can be a good option to support safer mobility
- What to know about yoga for fall prevention, and why tai chi might be a better choice
The post 052 Maintaining Mobility & Preventing Falls in Aging: Myths & Truths appeared first on Better Health While Aging.
91 episodes available. A new episode about every 14 days averaging 34 mins duration .