Manage episode 210366419 series 2359394
In This Episode:
Dr. K talks with Mary Hulme, geriatric social worker specialized in dementia and the co-author of “Caring from Afar: A Guide to Home Sensor Systems for Aging Parents.” They discuss:
- How geriatric social workers help older adults and families
- Why safety is no longer the automatic top priority in social work
- How to use an older person’s goals when weighing safety versus autonomy
- What is positive risk-taking in dementia
- Why Mary likes home sensor systems
- Features and options to consider when selecting a PERS system
- GPS-enabled devices and options for tracking people with Alzheimer’s or a related dementia
- Tips on discussing safety and location tracking with an older relative
- Mary Hulme’s website: Moonstone Geriatrics
- How can ‘positive risk-taking’ help build dementia-friendly communities?
- Alzheimer’s Association: Ethical and Care Issues
- Family Caregiver Alliance
The post 061 Interview: Using Technology to Balance Safety & Autonomy in Dementia appeared first on Better Health While Aging.
91 episodes available. A new episode about every 14 days averaging 34 mins duration .