Manage episode 210366415 series 2359394
In This Episode:
For Older Americans Month, Dr. K reflects on what it means to “successfully age,” and how we might help older adults accordingly. She covers:
- How our conception of “successful” or “better” aging influences the way we judge others and ourselves
- How the media and others often depict successful aging, and why this is problematic
- A different model of success in aging which puts more emphasis on adapting to — rather than managing to avoid — common age-related challenges
- Why aging might be less about individual choices than many people think
- How we might better appreciate older adults for their resilience and adaptations to late-life challenges
- What is Successful Aging ?
- Defining Successful Aging: A Tangible or Elusive Concept?
- AARP Disrupting Aging video: Millennials Show Us What Old Looks Like
- Proactive Approaches to Successful Aging: One Clear Path through the Forest
- Frameworks Institute: Reframing Aging
- NY Times series: When Old News Is Good News: The Effect of 6 Elderly New Yorkers on One Middle-Aged Reporter
91 episodes available. A new episode about every 14 days averaging 33 mins duration .