Manage episode 210366413 series 2359394
In This Episode:
Dr. K talks with Paula Spencer Scott, a family life expert and the author of Surviving Alzheimer s: Practical Tips and Soul-Saving Wisdom for Caregivers. They discuss:
- Paula’s personal experiences caring for her father and her in-laws affected by dementia
- Why she didn’t write a memoir, and instead opted to focus on featuring Alzheimer’s experts and practical caregiving how-tos
- The “Why-This, Try-This” approach to troubleshooting challenging dementia behaviors
- Why it’s so important to learn to better respond to dementia behaviors, and only use medication as a last resort
- A 7-step process that you can use to safely manage difficult Alzheimer’s behaviors
- Why it’s important to “be kinder than you feel” (and be kinder to yourself)
- By Paula Spencer Scott:
- Delirium: A common problem that speeds Alzheimer s decline, and how to avoid it
- How to Manage Sleep Problems in Dementia
- Resources for Dementia Caregivers
The post 067 Interview: Managing Difficult Alzheimer’s Behaviors Without Medications appeared first on Better Health While Aging.
93 episodes available. A new episode about every 14 days averaging 34 mins duration .