Manage episode 226890657 series 2359394
In This Episode:
Dr. K talks with neurologist Fanny Elahi, MD PhD, about cerebral small vessel disease and other issues related to white matter changes in the brain. Dr. Elahi sees patients and conducts research at UCSF’s Memory and Aging Center, and is an Assistant Professor of Neurology at UCSF. They discuss:
- What is the white matter in the brain, and why it often changes or is damaged with aging
- The relationship between white matter changes and cerebral small vessel disease
- How white matter changes can be thought of as a form of “scarring” in brain
- Why these brain changes can affect memory, thinking, and/or falls
- What we know about the prevention and treatment of these changes
- How white matter changes relate to vascular dementia, Alzheimer’s and other causes of dementia
- How the UCSF Memory and Aging Center evaluates white matter changes
- What is vascular parkinsonism
- What to consider for younger people with white matter changes on MRI
- Her recommendations on maintaining the brain and its blood vessels
- Ongoing research projects at UCSF and elsewhere that listeners may be able to participate in
The post 084 Interview: Understanding White Matter Changes in the Aging Brain appeared first on Better Health While Aging.
91 episodes available. A new episode about every 14 days averaging 33 mins duration .