Manage episode 202933812 series 60774
This month, I’m joined by Cari from the MMO Reporter Network and Sig from Crucible Gaming to talk about the health risks associated with the hobby of gaming, and some things we as gamers can do to counteract the physical effects of it.http://media.blubrry.com/beyondbossfights/djpimpdaddy.forgot.his.name/beyondbossfights/Beyond%20Bossfights%20Ep%208.mp3
Guest this episode: Cari from LOTRO Reporter and the MMO Reporter Network and Sig from the Crucible Gaming blog
Main Topic – Gamers and Health
Questions/Topics for discussion:
Video Game Related Health Problems (Wikipedia)
- Musculoskeletal issues
- Eye strain
- Video Game addiction
- Increased BMI (Obesity) bad eating habits (something about addictive nature of games/food)
- Need to feel competent (level up)
- Opportunity to develop a mastery (improvement is measurable)
- Feeling of freedom and autonomy – of being in control
- Goal oriented (quests)
(personal interview section)
- How much weight have you lost (sig)?
- What made you decide that it was time to change your lifestyle/was there a trigger?
- Do either of you have personal goals in mind that you would be comfortable sharing?
- In your opinion, does gaming contribute/is it the cause of unhealthiness in your life?
- How do you/do you plan to “gamify” the act of getting into a healthier routine?
- Take me through a typical day for you, including specific examples of how you incorporate health into your daily routine (sig)
- What has been the toughest thing about living more healthy?
- What are the biggest benefits you’ve noticed about living healthier?
- If gamers are indeed a “great fit at the gym”, why do we see so many video-game related health issues?
- What advice do you have for someone who has decided or is on the edge of deciding to “get healthy”?
- Tip from Cari: 33 Ways to get Exercise In at Work (or waiting for your Raid to fill!)
- Join Sig’s Fitocracy group Game Your Fitness and start questing for your health!
- It seems that Merric’s “Shake it Off Cast” has been removed from the host. I could not find any links to that podcast.
What I’ve been up to
- Posted about the balance of contributing to a gaming fansite in The Fan Site Tightrope
- Weighed the benefits of text based simulators in Never Outdated: Text-Based Sports Simulators
- Posted a tip about getting affordable voice over work for your podcast in Gimme Five(err)!
- Pondered the risks of a blog/podcast getting too big to be financially supportable in Too Big To Succeed: What Happens When Your Blog/Podcast Grows Too Large to be Sustained?
None this week
Brax is a thoughtful guy; it makes sense that he’d base a podcast around exploring topics at length. He’s also a generous host, giving his guests a lot of air time. I appreciate that he takes time between episodes instead of trying to meet a weekly schedule; you can tell he took the time to plan his explorations and prepare a good show.
Voiceover by Alexa Rubinov
#podcast #conversation #MMO
70 episodes available. A new episode about every 56 days .