Democrat Pollster Doug Schoen on Lessons from a Life in Politics, Being a Liberal in a Progressive Age, Learning from Clinton and Nixon, Threats from China and Russia
Manage episode 210391374 series 2327233
Doug Schoen has been one of the most influential Democratic campaign consultants and pollsters for over thirty years. He has advised presidents, prime ministers and titans of private industry. He is the author of multiple books; his most recent include Putin’s Master Plan, The Nixon Effect (interview here), and Return to Winter: Russia, China, and the New Cold War Against America (interview here).
Even though Doug and I disagree on several political issues, I am proud to call him a mentor and friend. His insights on politics and policy are not at all clouded by ideology, something rare in the world of punditry and prognostication. And his experience, judgment and wisdom are unparalleled. Perhaps most importantly, Doug and I share a love of country and belief in the imperative to defend it.
I had Doug on the podcast to draw out some of his lessons from a life well-spent as a master practitioner and student of politics, to share his insider view of government and how it has impacted his political philosophy and to discuss his strong beliefs on the threats that face us both globally in terms of China and Russia, and at home in terms of the bloat of government, rot in our institutions and our inability to share in a common vision for America.What We Discussed
- How Schoen’s life in politics has influenced his views on governmental power
- The polarization and personalization of politics
- Whether Schoen is a man without a party as a centrist Democrat in an increasingly progressive party
- The challenge of rising to power without compromise
- Political lessons from Bill Clinton
- Why Nixon was the preeminent political actor of the 20th century
- The strategic threat posed by China
- Whether the Russiagate collusion-mongers have done more damage to the U.S. than Russia could have ever hoped to have achieve itself
- The perilous state of our national security and law enforcement institutions
- What Schoen saw in the 2016 presidential election that other political pundits and prognosticators missed regarding Presidential Trump’s odds of defeating Hillary Clinton
- And much more
Thanks for Listening!
Check out other episodes, show notes and transcripts at benweingarten.com/bigideas.
Advertising & Sponsorship Inquiries: E-mail us.
Backed Vibes (clean) Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
17 episodes available. A new episode about every 10 days averaging 44 mins duration .