383: Finding Your Perfect Partner and the Top 6 Factors When Choosing a Market with Ben Leybovich & Sam Grooms
Manage episode 262480634 series 2479334
Interested in someday making the leap to bigger investments? Don't miss this one!
Ben Leybovich and Sam Grooms join us for a high-level conversation about how they transitioned from flips and smaller assets to 100-plus-unit, value-add multifamily deals.
Since the first part of this show was recorded pre-coronavirus, we brought the guys back on to hear their thoughts on today's market and get an update on how their business is doing amid the volatility (spoiler: pretty well!).
In This Episode We Cover:
- Finding the perfect partner for you
- The 6 factors they look at when analyzing a market
- Why Sam & Ben keep such a large reserve fund
- Why investors sometimes overvalue cash flow
- Why they like the Phoenix market
- How to establish a competitive edge in real estate investing
- How they look at multifamily syndication as "a long flip"
- Why equity protects you
- Buying insurance against interest rate increases
- Hiring their own construction team
- How they're adjusting to COVID-19
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- BiggerPockets Forums
- BiggerPockets Bookstore
- BiggerPockets Podcast
- BiggerPockets Calculators
- BiggerPockets Podcast 382: No Money Down BRRRR Investing with Josiah Smelser (Part 1, Recorded Pre-Coronavirus)
- BiggerPockets Podcast 382.5: Surviving When the BRRRR Hits the Fan with Josiah Smelser (Part 2, Post-Coronavirus)
- BiggerPockets Conference 2020
- BiggerPockets Podcast 356: 30+ Rentals (in a Pricy Market) Through BRRRR and Section 8 with Joe Asamoah
- Open Door Capital
- BiggerPockets Podcast 313: How to Be Happy AND Grow a Massive Business with Entrepreneur Jesse Itzler (and Josh!)
Check the full show notes here: http://biggerpockets.com/show383