Manage episode 224477080 series 133473
If you enjoy listening to my podcast, please take a minute to leave a review here!
My guest today, Jeff Tippett is a Raleigh, North Carolina-based public speaker, and owner of the public affairs firm, Targeted Persuasion.
Known by audiences and fans as Mr. Persuasion, Jeff Tippett is a subject matter expert in persuasive communications. Jeff has impacted thousands of lives through over 500 presentations, including keynotes and seminars. He helps people increase their effectiveness, gives them powerful tools for attaining goals and dreams, and helps them positively impact their organization – all as they learn techniques for communicating persuasively with others.
The heart and soul of Jeff’s presentations is the emotional story he tells of adopting his youngest daughter from Haiti while the country’s government was collapsing. Through this near death experience of navigating civil unrest and institutional bureaucracy in a third world nation, Jeff learned valuable lessons on how to persuade others without ever manipulating. Jeff unpacks these secrets of the superpower of persuasion in every presentation.What You Will Learn About in this Interview:
- Focusing on Your Brand: We personify our brand. What is your brand saying about you? I think all of us have a responsibility to sell what we believe, sell ourselves, or sell our message. Learn how to communicate the right message – one that will get noticed.
- Communications in the Workplace: Millennials Are Changing the Game: Unlike previous generations, millennials’ expectations of open communications, deeper connections and authenticity are presenting a communication challenge within the workplace.
- The Benefits of Telling the Full Story – in Bite-sized Pieces: Shorter attention spans require short messages – not an explosion of information. You want to capture people’s attention with one word that makes them wonder what the second word is – and makes them ask you for the next level.
- Understanding How People Respond and Positioning Your Message: You know that people primarily respond out of emotion and not logic. Find what is emotional in the story you’re trying to tell around the information. Lead with that, work in the logic and you’ll have your best chance of persuading and moving your audience with you.
- The Process of Debriefing and Drilling Down to the Simple Message:
- Let the information all spill out – get it out of your head.
- Ask, “What problem am I solving with this that I’m trying to convey?”
- Strike out everything that isn’t crucial – keep only the main words that convey your message.
- Jeff Tippett’s Big, Bold Statement: “We all live or die based upon our ability to persuade.” What’s the difference between persuasive communications and manipulating people? How does understanding this difference help you rise to the top?
- Jeff’s Audience Take-Aways: As a keynote speaker, presenter and author, Jeff believes that conveying his energy, making an emotional connection, and creating a common ground with his audience is key to their taking away actionable content.
- Verbal Imagery: Clear the playing field using the word “imagine”. By freeing any barriers of reality, it sets your audience up to listen and allows them to picture the world, the situation, or the environment the way that you want to describe it to them.
- Get Out of Your Own Head: It’s a challenge. What’s the message that you’re trying to convey to the person you’re talking to? What’s in it for them? Do you care? Your willingness to listen and to make a connection with them – on their terms, will define your success.
- Communicate with Humor: Humor is one of the best approaches we can use for people to drop down the barriers and walls. We can use things like humor, compassion, empathy, and storytelling as well and authenticity to help us make that connection with our audience.
- This is about being kind to other people and finding ways that we can connect with other people, to whatever degree, and willingness they are willing to connect.
Many of the topics discussed in this interview are also included in Jeff’s second book, slated for an early 2019 release, titled: Unleashing Your Superpower: Why Persuasive Communication Is The Only Force You Will Ever Need.
In 2014, Jeff founded Targeted Persuasion, an award-winning public affairs + communications firm. He has worked with renowned brands like Airbnb, The National Restaurant Association, The League of Women Voters, The League of Conservation Voters, plus others. Other industry experts have validated Jeff’s work with numerous awards including the prestigious The American Advertising Award.
His first book: Pixels Are the New Ink: 3 Steps to Digital Domination in Your Industry, gives business leaders, activists, political leaders, and anyone desiring to build their brand online the tools needed to grow their network and influence. The easy 3-step process makes implementing the strategies attainable for online novices to pros.
Jeff’s highly anticipated second book, slated for an early 2019 release, is titled: Unleashing Your Superpower: Why Persuasive Communication Is The Only Force You Will Ever Need. The book is designed for CEOs responsible for leading an organization – often navigating significant changes, a manager with direct responsibility for the performance of those you lead, a salesperson whose income is directly related to your ability to close the sale, or simply an individual hoping to live life with the company of a significant other – Jeff unmasks the secrets of persuasive communication.
His bold statement is that, “We all live or die based on our ability to persuade”; and his goal is to help people understand how to persuasively communicate better without ever manipulating people around them – and to help them rise to the top.
You can learn more about Jeff Tippett on his website: https://jefftippett.comHow to get in touch with Jeff Tippett
- Ask what is crucial. Strike everything else.
- Ask yourself; “What problem does this solve?”
- Crafting a Simple Message
- “Now everything lies ahead – the unknown, the potential.”
This episode is sponsored by the CIO Scoreboard, a powerful tool that helps you communicate the status of your IT Security program visually in just a few minutes.
Credits: * Outro music provided by Ben’s Sound
Leave a Review If you enjoyed this episode, then please consider leaving an iTunes review here
Click here for instructions on how to leave an iTunes review if you’re doing this for the first time.