Manage episode 245909028 series 2168632
In today's business headlines:
- France is considering providing financial support to Eskom according to the Business Times.
- British billionaire Richard Branson will look at buying a stake in South African Airways if he is approached.
- Eskom has warned that the power system remains constrained and vulnerable and that any shift could lead to load shedding at short notice.
- The Rand which has rallied last week to its firmest level in three weeks on the back of renewed hopes of a US-China trade deal slipped back after the nationwide electricity blackouts reignited worries about the economy.
- London City traders have urged the United Kingdom and European exchanges to cut trading hours to improve work-life balance.
- With calls on the government to get on with plans to get the economy going; the ANC met members of its alliance, the South African Communist Party, Cosatu and civic organisation SANCO yesterday to discuss the Treasury’s economic rescue plan; and
- An earthbound jet known as the Bloodhound is on target to set a new land speed record in South Africa.