Archive this series
We are proud to have Larry Keith as the BjjBrick coach of the year. Larry has been training martial arts for around 35 years. Larry is a third degree black belt in Kodokan Judo and a brown belt in BJJ. He enjoys mixing throws with ending up in a dominant position. This is a great interivew with a outstanding person that we
We talk about:
- Starting his martial arts program
- having a large kids group
- He is a big guy and he talks about not using it too much
- How to turn a student into someone who can be more aggressive
- Starting his own dojo
- Working with the local boys and girls club helping to prevent bullying
- Zero tolerance policy in public schools
- Using a buddy system to prevent bullying
- The goals he has when teaching kids judo and jiu-jitsu
- Getting kids to do martial arts for their lifetime
- Kids and competing in tournaments
- Giving kids a leadership role on the mat
- The importance of a family atmosphere in BJJ
- Learning by teaching
- His plans for competing more
Quote of the week: "Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
Lesson of the week: Dealing with traffic and taking a detour to still reach your goal.
The Referee Corner “Epi 2 Sandbagging” starting at 1h33m
Gary's audio book is called "rolling with ghost- breaking spirits instead of elbows"
Catch us next week for another episode of The BjjBrick Podcast
192 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days averaging 100 mins duration .