Manage episode 176775917 series 1247580
Richard Tapping gives our listeners an overview of the ElBraille and the ONYX OCR devices from VFO. These new devices are shipping soon and Richard covers each along with pricing packages from VFO. Descriptions from the VFO web site are posted below and Richard gives a great overview in this podcast. Join Richard Tapping and check out the new products from VFO.
You can contact Richard Tapping
800-444-4443 or 727-803-8000
Thank you for listening.
You can follow us on Twitter @BlindAbilities
On the web at www.BlindAbilities.com
Send us an email
Get the Free Blind Abilities App on the App Store.
A cutting-edge, extremely portable Braille computer
The ElBraille is a portable device designed for users who are blind or deaf-blind and want to stay connected at school, work, or home as well as on the go. The twenty-first century, take anywhere replacement for the dedicated notetaker, ElBraille combines the power and flexibility of a modern mainstream computer running the Windows® 10 operating system with JAWS® and a Braille display with a full Braille keyboard to offer a fully accessible compact computer. JAWS provides the best screen reader experience with either Eloquence speech output or the highly responsive and life-like Vocalizer Expressive Compact voices as well as full Braille output. Type text into documents or perform JAWS and Windows® commands right from the Braille display’s keyboard using the JAWS BrailleIn® feature. Run any Windows application such as Microsoft Word®, Excel®, PowerPoint®, or Outlook®. Use FSReader to read DAISY books from sources such as Bookshare.org or browse the internet with Microsoft Internet Explorer® or Mozilla® Firefox. ElBraille also includes a set of specially designed apps for performing popular actions such as the creation of voice or text notes, listening to audio content, and more.
The ElNotes application developed by Elita Group is designed to create, store, and manage text and voice notes on the ElBraille Notetaker. ElNotes allows a user to quickly create text and voice notes using a set of special keystrokes and then export them to TXT or MP3 files respectively, if needed. These files are saved to a user-specified folder and then are available to be read and listened to using other ElBraille applications.
Save by upgrading your current investment – Compatible with your existing Focus 14 Blue or Focus 40 Blue Braille Display and your existing JAWS license.
• Runs Microsoft Windows® 10
◦ Latest JAWS version with Eloquence comes preinstalled
• Braille display: 14 or 40 refreshable Braille cells, an 8-dot Perkins-style Braille keyboard
• Microprocessor: Intel® Atom x5-Z8300, Quad-Core 1.84 GHZ CPU
• 160 GB of internal memory, 2 GB RAM
• 2 stereo speakers
• Built-in Microphone
• An additional system speaker with sound and vibration feedback
• Wireless WLAN802.11 A/B/G/N/AC networks support (2.4 and 5 GHz)
• Bluetooth V4.2
• A built-in 4G LTE modem supporting 7 cell networking standards: TDD-LTE, FDD-LTE, TD-SCDMA, WCDMA, CDMA1X/EVDO, GSM/GPRS/EDGE. Download speed up to 150 Mbps, upload speed up to 50 Mbps
• GPS 1/8″ (3.5 mm) headphone jack
• Memory card slot supporting SD, SDHC, SDXC up to 256 GB
• USB 3.0 port
• Mini HDMI port
• Rechargeable 10,400 mAh battery
• Approximately 17 to 20 hours on battery, even with wireless networking turned on
• Powered with an AC adapter (110 to 240 V) or from battery
◦ An AC adapter with replaceable plug (UK, US, EU, AU)
• ElBraille-14 dimensions: 7.4×4.7×1.5 in (189×118×38 mm)
• ElBraille-14 weight: 27 oz. (750 grams) with battery
• Microsoft Windows 10 operating system
• Supports Microsoft Office 2016, 2013, or 2010
• Available with JAWS for Windows 18.0 screen reading software including high-quality Vocalizer Expressive voices
• A specially designed self-voiced and self-Brailled emergency menu allows recovery of the device without system reboot or loss of data in case speech and Braille output is interrupted
The ONYX OCR
LOW VISION SOLUTIONS: ONYX® OCR
Portable Video Magnifier
The ONYX OCR magnifies and reads aloud any document. The clear voice, magnification and high contrast makes reading so much easier. Comfortably change your focus from reading magnified texts yourself, to letting the ONYX OCR read them to you when reading becomes too tiring. Just place your document under the fixed OCR camera on the left and activate the speech function. Enjoy listening to any document as it is read aloud by a high quality voice, without straining your eyes. This four-in-one solution integrates two separate cameras: one for transforming text to speech output and one for magnifying documents and observing the room around you. This way, you can clearly see what you want, whether it is across the room or at your desk!
The ONYX OCR is a video magnifier for users who want to combine magnification and speech. The self-contained design integrates two cameras and a 24-inch touch screen. It allows you to view a full letter page on screen, and to magnify materials up to 131 times.
The ONYX OCR combines the perks of several video magnifiers in one design. With this four-in-one solution, you can magnify text on your desk, write, work on hobbies, view images from a distance, view yourself, and even listen to documents as they are read aloud! You can comfortably switch between reading magnified text and listening to documents. Just place your document under the fixed OCR camera on the left side of the magnifier, tap the touch screen and enjoy listening to the text, without straining your eyes.
• Four-in-one video magnifier with two separate cameras for distance, document, self view and OCR functionality:
◦ Flexible camera to observe objects across the rooms or auditoriums in sharp focus (distance view), to magnify documents such as reading materials, daily business tasks, classroom assignments, product labels and craft projects (document view), and to get magnified true mirror image (self view)
◦ Convenient fixed position OCR camera to listen to documents effortlessly – Always place the document in the same place
• Touch screen monitor: Tap the screen to begin reading at any point and from any place in the document
• Displays full pages and automatically identifies the document layout
Free In-home DemoDocumentationGSA Information
• Autofocus HD camera
• OCR camera – 13 Megapixels
• Magnification Range: 24-inch monitor: 1.7x to 131x
• 24-inch full color TFT widescreen display
• Point & Read functionality: intuitive touch interface
• Overview: full letter page viewing
• Assistive reading with automatic text zone recognition
• Fast text recognition (OCR)
• Over 60 reading voices in 31 languages
• Saving and opening documents on a SD card or USB stick
• Large icon and large font menu
• Volume control
• Speed control
• Digital photo viewer
• Built-in stereo speakers
• SD card slot
• USB port
• Headphone connector
• Weight: 24-inch – 25.8 lbs / 11.7 kg
• Working height under camera: 16.4 inches / 41.6 cm
370 episodes available. A new episode about every 3 days averaging 26 mins duration .