Manage episode 286916467 series 1919368
Of all the plants I’m feeling drawn to these days, Alocasia are at the top of my list. I feel like their weird, semi heart shaped, semi ovular shaped leaves look like little alien heads looking at me, popping out from my collection to say hello. They are oddly friendly but also strange looking plants that I’m obsessed with. There are so many reasons to love Alocasia, from the unique leaf shape, to their gorgeous vein patterns and the incredible variety of colors you see, I’m particularly entranced by Alocasia cuprea. Today we are joined by Enid from NSE Tropicals againt o dive deep into Alocasia care and best plants for different types of plant parents. I dare you to not try this amazing genus of plants after listening, sweet plant friend.
Don't forget to subscribe to the podcast,
In this episode we learn:
- [04:13] Reintroducing Enid, why Maria is OBSESSED with alocasia, and what this episode has in store
- [05:19] Where can you find alocasias in nature?
- [06:00] With their similar beautiful features, how can you tell alocasias and anthurium apart?
- [07:44] What Maria loves about alocasias
- [08:17] Do alocasias love humidity? What kind of potting mix is ideal for them?
- [10:35] How often should you water your alocasias?
- [10:53] Is there a particular light situation that alocasias like?
- [12:41] What you should always remember when taking care of alocasias (or anthuriums!)
- [13:27] Enid shares how often she uses fertilizer and what fertilizer she uses on her alocasias
- [14:20] The experience behind why Maria is intimidated by alocasias
- [14:42] What happens to alocasias during their dormant period? What are things you can do when they are dormant?
- [17:42] Where to best get your garden planting needs this season!
- [19:37] Is there a perfect starter plant for everyone? Maria compiled the best ones suited for YOU
- [20:55] What is a corm and how does it function for alocasias?
- [21:25] How do you propagate alocasias? Can you propagate from their leaves?
- [22:06] Enid shares the most common mistake you might be making with your alocasias!
- [22:41] How do you save an alocasia from root rot? Can you STILL save it?
- [24:06] On the ground or in a pot, what’s the best way to keep alocasias upright and prevent them from tipping over?
- [25:13] What potting situation do alocasias prefer?
- [26:03] The possible explanation on why your alocasia is growing more flowers than leaves
- [27:21] Is preventing your alocasias’ dormancy harmful for them in the long-term?
- [28:53] You alocasias are actually pretty smart!
- [29:35] Enid’s alocasia recommendations for all stages of plant parents!
- [30:18] Maria and Enid share their stories with the hardy alocasia Polly
- [33:48] Maria talks about the alocasias she currently owns and her future plans for this genus!
Mentioned in our conversation:
- BAGR Episode Aroids 101 Part 1
- BAGR Episode Aroids 101 Part 2
- BAGR Episode Anthurium Care
- The Common Cult Podcast with Heather and Eryn
- NSE Tropicals
Thank you to our episode sponsor:
Territorial Seed Company
Thank you Territorial Seed Co for sponsoring today's episode! Territorial Seed Co provides high quality seeds and plants (over 2000 varieties) that are tried and tested on their 75 acre farm and have a ton of fall varieties for us to try! It's already time to start planning your 2021 garden! For seeds, plants, online garden planner, how to videos and more visit TerritorialSeed.com and use code BLOOM10 for 10% off.
Take the Plant Parent Personality Test!
Take the Plant Parent Personality quiz to unlock your Plant Parent Potential and get a curated list of plants, DIY planty projects and podcasts tailored specifically for your lifestyle.
Instagram and Facebook: @NSETropicals
Follow Maria and Bloom and Grow Radio:
Take the Bloom and Grow Plant Parent Personality Quiz (Get the perfect plants, projects and educational resources for YOUR Lifestyle)
Support Bloom and Grow Radio by becoming a Plant Friend on Patreon!
Instagram and Facebook: @BloomandGrowRadio
Subscribe to the Bloom and Grow Youtube Show! /Bloomandgrowradio
Join the (free) Garden Club: www.bloomandgrowradio.com/garden-club
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands