Manage episode 283288853 series 1919368
So many of us got bitten by the outdoor gardening bug last year and learned there is no better way to connect with the food we eat.. then by growing it. My passion for growing edible plants has grown, like my space has. My first garden was a tiny box full of herbs and one tomato plant on our tiny balcony three years ago, and since then, the balcony containers grew, and now I’m excited to be in our first home with acres to farm this summer. Starting these edible plants from seed has been a bit intimidating, but in my efforts to continue growing as a plant parent, I’m ready to take the plunge and dive in. Starting from seed offers us the ability to be in control of the varieties we grow, plan in advance and save lots of money in the long run. My dear friend and mentor Joe Lamp’l- the "joe behind joe gardener" is the king of organic gardening and has an amazing seed starting course launching this week and was kind enough to stop by and give us the inside scoop on seed starting basics, and inspire us to deepen our curiosity about where food comes from and empower us to grow it ourselves.If this episode or topic inspires you...
join me in Joe's 2021 Master Seed Starting Course!
Enrollment is only a week long and closes February 2nd, 2021! Use my affiliate link here and get access to the private zoom call with Joe and Myself specifically for our Bloom and Grow Community! We will have the call in March, after we have all binged the course, and troubleshoot our specific questions with Joe and grow as a community together!In this episode we learn:
- [00:00:10] Maria shares her favorite experiences and benefits of seed starting
- [00:02:11] Where to get the best seeds for your spring and summer gardens this year
- [00:06:20] Joe demystifies seed starting and why you shouldn’t be nervous about starting your own garden!
- [00:07:24] What Joe does for a living and where you can check out for more of his gardening tips
- [00:09:39] Why Joe emphasizes understanding the why’s of gardening and plant parenthood
- [00:10:17] Maria shares her own experience with growing seeds and why she didn’t give it a ‘real shot’ prior
- [00:11:12] Joe talks about the rewarding feeling of starting from a seed versus seedling
- [00:12:43] The sense of ownership that seed starting instills in us
- [00:13:31] How growing your own garden expands your food choices
- [00:14:26] What Maria learned about seed starting versus seedlings when she grew her own tomatoes
- [00:16:47] Joe answers the question we’re all thinking about: how much do we need for a successful seed starting setup?
- [00:16:56] Breaking down the materials, the costs, the alternatives, and the conditions you need for seed starting
- [00:22:14] What kind of soil is ideal for seed starting?
- [00:24:10] Joe’s recommendations for seed tray sizes, compartment depth, and seed tray materials
- [00:28:06] When is the best time to start on your seeds? What is the most important date you need to know when growing your own seeds?
- [00:30:20] Where Maria is sourcing her seeds from for this gardening season
- [00:33:55] Do seeds have an expiration date? Joe emphasizes the importance of buying seeds from a good and established company
- [00:35:40] Do we need to be looking out for non-GMO seeds?
- [00:36:19] Is it possible to grow the seed of a fruit that you just ate? Joe discusses the difference between hybrid and open pollinated non-hybrid
- [00:38:17] Now that you’ve got your seed starting setup, how do you put your seeds in the soil?
- [00:39:01] What is the ideal light situation for seed starting?
- [00:39:38] The step-by-step process of seed starting, what you should expect when you’ve planted your seeds, and the most intensive part of the process according to Joe
- [00:43:10] The process of thinning and why Maria finds it SO frustrating
- [00:45:38] Is there a right and only way to germinate your seeds? For Maria’s mom, a damp towel in a Ziploc bag is the way to go
- [00:46:30] How to check if your seeds are still good
- [00:47:50] How does cold stratification work and why do some plants need it? Joe explains the what’s, the why’s, and the how’s of this process
- [00:49:46] What you can learn from Joe’s Master Seed Starting class
- [00:50:38] The importance of building an engaged and active community of seed starters
- [00:54:57] An exciting offer from Joe and Maria on how to be a better seed starter!
- [00:57:41] What Maria is excited about with her seed starting this season!
Mentioned in our conversation: Take the Master Seed Starting Course with me!
Enrollment is only a week long and closes February 2nd, 2021! Use my affiliate link here and get access to the private zoom call with Joe and Myself specifically for our Bloom and Grow Community! We will have the call in March, after we have all binged the course, and troubleshoot our specific questions with Joe and grow as a community together!
- BAGR Episode Living, Potted Christmas Trees with Joe Lamp’l
- BAGR Episode Fall Garden Plants and Projects with Joe Lamp’l
- BAGR Episode Talking Tomatoes with Craig LeHoullier and My MOM
- Cultivating Place Podcast by Jennifer Jewell
Thank you to our episode sponsors:
These two sponsors are the perfect combination for seed starting!
Use Espoma Organic Seed Starting mix paired with Territorial Seed Company seeds and seed starting accessories! That's what I'll be doing!Territorial Seed Company
Thank you Territorial Seed Co for sponsoring today's episode! Territorial Seed Co provides high quality seeds and plants (over 2000 varieties) that are tried and tested on their 75 acre farm and have a ton of fall varieties for us to try! It's already time to start planning your 2021 garden! For seeds, plants, online garden planner, how to videos and more visit TerritorialSeed.com and use code BLOOM10 for 10% off.Espoma Organic
Espoma Organics: for responsibly made, fabulous indoor and outdoor organic soils, fertilizers, pest control sprays and more visit espoma.com to find your local dealer or check out my amazon storefront of my favorite Espoma products here.
Follow Joe Take the Master Seed Starting Course with me! Enrollment is only a week long and closes February 2nd, 2021! Use my affiliate link here and get access to the private zoom call with the Bloom and Grow Community with Joe and Myself to troubleshoot our questions after we take the course! joe gardener website - joegardener.com The joe gardener show Podcasts - joegardener.com/podcast joe gardener Newsletter - https://growingagreenerworld.lpages.co/joegardener-group-membership-sign-up/ joe gardener Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/joegardenerTV/ joe gardener Facebook Group -https://www.facebook.com/groups/joegardener/ joe gardener Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/joegardener/ joe gardenerTV YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/joegardenerTV joe gardener Twitter - https://twitter.com/joegardener joe gardener Online Gardening Academy - joegardener.com/learn Growing a Greener World - growingagreenerworld.com GGWTV YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/ggwtv Follow Maria and Bloom and Grow Radio:
Take the Bloom and Grow Plant Parent Personality Quiz (Get the perfect plants, projects and educational resources for YOUR Lifestyle)
Support Bloom and Grow Radio by becoming a Plant Friend on Patreon!
Instagram and Facebook: @BloomandGrowRadio
Subscribe to the Bloom and Grow Youtube Show! /Bloomandgrowradio
Join the (free) Garden Club: www.bloomandgrowradio.com/garden-club