Manage episode 194831812 series 1051719
In this Body Buddies podcast episode, Mary Tate courageously shares her story of debilitation for over a decade with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder from her teenage years through her mid-twenties. She lived in one room in her parents' home and didn't know if she would ever live a "regular" life.
After she was able to find solutions, Mary got married to her sweetheart. She then had a son who brought new challenges into her life with what she discovered eventually as Sensory Processing Disorder.
In her conversation with Kristy Jo, she shares the following:
- At what point of something being "off" with your child do you need to accept something is wrong? When do you take your child into a specialist?
- How years of Occupational Therapy and Tactile Therapy slowly helped her son to begin functioning like a healthy, young boy.
- Sensory Processing Disorder--what it looks like, sounds like, and the experience of home schooling a child with SPD.
- How gut health is connected to helping her son function as healthily as possible.
- How yogurt is not the best source of probiotics or children and the sugar content is far too high to be the best choice (ad the type of place to actually find a good probiotic).
- Why artificial colors are so problematic for kids, even without ADHD, to increase hyperactivity.
- Why keeping sugar low in children is a top focus point.
- How families can find community for support, ideas, and therapies online.
Mary and her husband didn't sit back and complain that their son had so many conditions to work through. They stood up to find solutions, help their son, and Mary now helps other families with children who have special needs.
When you power your body, you work on it from the inside out. From faith and the spirit to the thoughts and food, you have control over what goes into your body!
In holistic health, the whole body is integrated. This includes thinking, attitude, emotions, beliefs, fitness, and nutrition. It's the whole body approach.
"Mary believes mothers should always advocate for their child. YES! You can do this! You go through things for a reason. As you get further into your life, you will be able to bless and serve those behind you."
Mary offers the following for Special Needs Families:
1. Membership Group Online
2. One-on-One Family Coaching
3. Family Group Coaching
Mary's Website: www.treeoflifehealthcoaching.net
Mary's Facebook Page:Click Here to View
About Mary Tate:
Mary Tate is the owner of Tree of Life Health Coaching. She is known as the Health Coach for special needs families. She provides a wide range of services to support families achieve the wellness goals they have for their families.
As a teenager, Mary suffered with severe OCD and was debilitated for 10 years of her life. She was 60 lbs. overweight and depressed. Through the grace of God, she fought here way out and eventually got married and had a family.
Her first son had a rough start in life. He was plagued with oral aversion which made it hard to breastfeed, low muscle tone which resulted in developmental delays, chronic constipation, eczema, and reflux. At 12 months of age, he was diagnosed as Failure to Thrive and had Sensory Integration Dysfunction which is now known as Sensory Processing Disorder. The family went through years of feeding therapy, occupational therapy and physical therapy to help get him on the right track.
As a mom to a special needs child, Mary knew the importance of adopting a healthier lifestyle than what she grew up with, so did the research and started introducing a whole foods approach to their meals. It was hard for him, but she fought every day to get him the nutrition he needed. She kept breastfeeding so that he was also getting the nutrition that I was taking in as well.
In 3rd grade, he was diagnosed with ADHD and we started a whole new level of education. So that’s when she decided to get certified as a health coach. She did it for her son and now wants to give back and serve those families who are following behind her.
Mary follows the Dr. Sears model of health. L.E.A.N. Lifestyle, Exercise, Attitude, and Nutrition. Those 4 pillars of health truly encompass what it means to live a holistic life. Mary can’t wait to empower families to take the steps needed to help them achieve their wellness goals for them and their family.
191 episodes available. A new episode about every 11 days averaging 33 mins duration .