Manage episode 225121967 series 181940
At last year’s Romance Writers of Australia conference, Kate Cuthbert’s keynote speech, Consenting adults, was a game changer for the attendees. It spawned deep discussions about the choices authors make when writing romance stories. It also bridged a gap in the conversation because it acknowledges that problematic stories have a place in genre history, while urging us to re-examine the messages our stories are conveying.
So I’m excited to have Kate and Jodi McAlister in our first interview from the conference. We talk about the function of nonconsensual scenes in the history of romance, what happy endings look like in different cultures, condoms in romance, power politics, and cultural conversations.
You might also like to check out this guest post by Ainslie Paton, which looks at some dos and don’ts when writing first kisses. Ainslie also includes some examples of great first kisses.
Finally, a huge hug of thanks for all your comments, tweets, Instagram stories, and emails. A special shout out goes to RBurbank and Roxanne for your lovely feedback!
Kate Cuthbert — Program Manager at Writers Victoria, former managing editor of Escape Publishing: @katydidinoz
- BD | BT | Amz | Aud — Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James [ reviews ]
- BD | BT | Amz | Aud — The Flame and the Flower by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss
- BD | BT | Amz | Aud — Sweet Savage Love by Rosemary Rogers
- BD | BT | Amz | Aud — The Sheikh by E.M. Hull
- BD | BT | Amz | Aud — The Romance Revolution by Carol Thurston
- BD | BT | Amz | Aud — Reading the Romance by Janice Radway
- BD | BT | Amz | Aud — The Princess Trap by Talia Hibbert
- BD | BT | Amz | Aud — Hate To Want You by Alisha Rai
- BD | BT | Amz | Aud — Wrong To Need You by Alisha Rai
- Consenting adults — Transcript of Kate’s keynote speect at the 2019 Romance Writers of Australia conference
- iTunes | Amazon — The Bold and the Beautiful (TV)
- Book Thingo on Spotify
67 episodes available. A new episode about every 18 days averaging 37 mins duration .