Manage episode 198373891 series 56820
Joining us this week out of Toronto is Darryl Hurs, owner and programme director of Indie Week. Indie Week is an annual music festival held over four days/nights, featuring local & international acts performing in the heart of Toronto, Canada.
Indie Week’s showcases are judged by members of the music industry, and the top scoring act receives a paid trip to headline Indie Week UK. In this interview, we talk about how you can apply for music festivals, the benefits of attending music industry conferences, and SonicBids.
- Darryl tells us about the benefits of music conferences and conventions, and what artists should do before attending
- Darryl shares how he thinks many music festivals/conferences should actually be described as conventions
- “It’s what happens off the stage and behind the scenes that makes what happens on the stage successful” - Darryl Hurs
- We hear about the submission process for artists who are interested in showcasing at Indie Week
- Darryl talks about why festivals use SonicBids for submissions, despite many artists being against it
- “Many artists apply to festivals and showcases before they are ready” - Darryl Hurs
- We hear about the benefits of applying to play at festivals as early as possible
- Darryl tells us why festivals charge submission fees
- “It’s better to attend a festival and start building your story rather than submitting to play when you’re not ready” - Darryl Hurs
- Website: http://indieweek.com
- Instagram: @darryl_hurs / @indieweek
- Twitter: @darrylhurs / @indieweek
- Facebook: /indieweek
- Christine Infanger @ Thirty Roses
200 episodes available. A new episode about every 9 days averaging 18 mins duration .