Manage episode 247478252 series 1523818
Jeff Brown, award-nominated podcaster, consultant and speaker; Jordan Harbinger, Wall Street Lawyer turned talk show host, social dynamics expert, and entrepreneur; and Brandon Turner, active real estate investor and co-host of the Bigger Pockets Podcast share with your host, Travis Chappell, how to run a successful podcast.
- Jeff Brown
- Why Jeff believes in developing relationships for their own sake
- The value of being a proponent of other people’s work and being intentional, consistent and altruistic in your promotion of it
- Jordan Harbinger
- Did another show called The Art of Charm for 11 years.
- Most of the team came with him when he moved to the Jordan Harbinger show.
- If he’d stayed with the old brand he would have been lazily plodding along.
- Watched around 300 Larry King interviews to see what he did and did not like
- 900-1500 edits in the show to cut out any flubs, tangents, unnecessary promotions, jokes that don’t land, etc.
- A minute of a listener’s time is worth a lot to a listener.
- Used to be an attorney, he considers himself an advocate for the listener.
- It’s not about the guest, it’s about what the guest can teach the listener.?
- Spends an average of 6-10 hours researching a guest, sometimes 12.
- Brandon Turner
- Bigger Pockets chad a bigger launch than most because of the community they had already built.
- 90% of podcasters don’t make it past episode 7.
- They teach education for free and sell it on software.
- You need to follow the LAPS model – Leads, Analyze, Pursue, Success.
- When you’re a peer or someone who appears as an equal, it helps you stand out.
3 Key Points:
- Become a proponent of other people's work.
- Do your research.
- Approach guests as a peer, not as a fan.
- "Be intentional about promoting other people's stuff." – Jeff Brown
- "A minute of a listener’s time is worth a lot to that listener." – Jordan Harbinger
- “Starting a podcast is fantastic for talking to people who are where you want to be.” – Brandon Turner
- Jeff Brown: Website
- Jordan Harbinger: Website
- Brandon Turner: Website
- Get podcast coaching from Travis at www.travischappell.com/apply.
- Learn how to network at events at www.travischappell.com/yes
- Visit Travis’ website at Buildyournetwork.co
- Join the Build Your Network Facebook group BYN.media/fb
- Join the Build Your Network University Facebook group here byn.university
- Leave a rating and review for the Build Your Network Podcast on iTunes
- Watch Travis’ free masterclass on how to build the network of your dreams at acast.com/privacy