Manage episode 289240020 series 2792665
Since she was a child, Barbara Jacobs has had a deep desire to help others, and she has never strayed from this path. After receiving her Bachelor’s in Nursing, she worked in various positions in several different hospitals, and through putting her fears aside and following the advice of her mentors, she has worked her way up into a top leadership position in the nursing profession. Barbara encourages all you other Care Heroes to find the courage to follow your hearts, get out of your comfort zones, and push yourselves to the next level. In today’s episode, Barbara shares her experience working in the third busiest hospital in Maryland, the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, and the groundbreaking work she has been involved with around creating an age-friendly health system. Barbara reminds us that death is a reality in a hospital environment, and it is up to healthcare professionals to make sure that when they cannot be saved, patients have the best death possible. By helping a patient, you are also helping the people around them; don’t ever forget how much of a difference you make!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Why Barbara would choose a cloak of invisibility as her superpower.
- From a young age, Barbara had a strong desire to help people through healthcare.
- Barbara runs us through her studies and her work experiences leading up to today.
- The influence that Barbara’s mentors had on her and how she now tries to do the same for others.
- Don’t be afraid to take bold steps in your career.
- How Barbara feels about being in a leadership position in the third busiest hospital in Maryland.
- A typical day in the life of Barbara Jacobs.
- The impact that the COVID-19 pandemic had on the hospital where Barbara works, and the healthcare workers around her.
- What a Magnet Hospital is and why Barbara loves working in one.
- Barbara’s involvement in creating an age-friendly health system with the Hartford Institute and IHI.
- The four vital elements that need to be considered in geriatric healthcare.
- How the COVID-19 pandemic has affected nursing students and how Barbara and her team have modified their training in response.
- Barbara shares the ways in which she continuously expands her knowledge within her field.
- Following her heart is what led Barbara into nursing; don’t be afraid to follow yours.
- There are many different ways to communicate, depending on who you are talking to.
- Death is a reality in a hospital; healthcare workers have the ability to give patients the best death possible.
- The power that Barbara thinks is going to be given to patients in healthcare systems of the future.
- When you help a patient you are not only improving their lives but the lives of all of those around them.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode: